• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Upgrading to a 150A alt.

Quiksilver

Oct 23, 2006
Washington State, USA
The mechanic at the local alternator shop said that, "it wouldn't do me much good" to install/rewind a 150A alt.(from the stock 85A) without running a dual battery system.
Does this sound accurate???

Thanks for the input!

The mechanic at the local alternator shop said that, "it wouldn't do me much good" to install/rewind a 150A alt.(from the stock 85A) without running a dual battery system.

Thanks for the input!

Go to another mechanic because that one's full of shit and you might get some of it on you if you listen too closely to him.

You're gaining 65 amps with or without any additional batteries, the problem lies in how heavily the alternator is wound and the strength of the bearings supporting the stator is while under load.

So if you don't run it near it's full potential you most likely won't have any issues, well in AM mode anyway and SSB is a totally different colored horse and you may see deficiencies between your peaks during modulation that an extra battery may help with but as stated before stay within your 85 to 90 percent maximum output of the alternator and you'll do fine.

Go to another mechanic...

I agree...no need for a second battery. You will need to upgrade your positive/negative battery cables and the supply wire that runs from the back of the alternator to the battery though. Check out this installation page at Motor City Reman:

Technical Information

BTW - If you have a GM vehicle I have a 1 wire 160 amp alternator that was purchased from Motor City Reman. I sold the truck I was going to install it in and the truck I have now is newer so it won't work in it. If you're interested in it you can have it for $125 shipped. Here's the info about it:

GM 1 Wire Universal Mount CS130

If interested contact me at: twentytwo-zero at hotmail dot com

Thanks for the input!

A second battery securely mounted is always a good idea if you are going to run more than a 1x4 amp....certainly not needed, but a good idea.
Alternators are not rewound, the rebuilders just remove the stator and replace with a bigger rectifier and stator. Having 2 parallel batteries puts a little less strain on the alternator.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.