• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Urgent Antenna question…

KN6VQP

Oct 16, 2022
San Diego County, California
Hello everyone. My first post here, looking forward to learning a lot here and getting to know others.

I am just in the middle of assembling my Diamond X300A antenna for a homebase set up. Looking at the upper portion of the antenna body the copper wire within the white sleeve / body has several white foam cushions glued along the length of it every eight or 10 inches. I’m not sure if they should remain here when I assemble and operate the antenna or if they were simply put there for packaging and shipping purposes.

A quick response would be appreciated, I am literally in the middle of getting it mounted and set up and this has me stopped dead in the water until I know for sure. Part of me thinks it’s there to keep the wire spaced properly within the body of the sleeve, the other part of me thinks it’s for packaging only. It would be a real hassle to be incorrect and assume something.

THANK YOU!

Attachments

• 6C8C83C8-79BE-489A-9DF6-43D8C93D2A42.jpeg
    6C8C83C8-79BE-489A-9DF6-43D8C93D2A42.jpeg
    1,020.6 KB · Views: 68
  • B1CA7BCE-0983-4F52-B69B-FE1FACCC7470.jpeg
    B1CA7BCE-0983-4F52-B69B-FE1FACCC7470.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 66
  • C29C8EE9-6E3C-47E7-A504-2CF131639817.jpeg
    C29C8EE9-6E3C-47E7-A504-2CF131639817.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 69

The new antenna is working great - I’m very happy with it. Thanks again for the quick info.
I completed the assembly of a new Diamond X510HDM. Step #9 states; "Turn the coaxial cable once to make a loop and fix it on the support pipe". What is the recommended / required diameter of the loop and what is the purpose / logic of the loop?

The new antenna is working great - I’m very happy with it. Thanks again for the quick info.
I could not apply the required torque with the supplied (short) spanner wrenches to obtain a zero gap between the mechanical fittings. The thickness of the nickel-plated fittings made it difficult to use SAE or Metric wrenches. Going against my mechanical mind set, I had to use (cringe) two adjustable wrenches to tighten the connections to obtain a zero gap. I verified the zero-gap using a flashlight and a 001" feeler gauge. Tomorrow is installation day.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.