• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

US Amateur bands

K9GAS

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Sep 21, 2011
has the band plans changed since 2008 effective date?
since it still lists the advanced class. Has there been any adjustments
to the frequency use with the changes of the class license structure? Just curious.

The last changes to the ham bands was adding the 60 meter band and the increase in CW sub-bands for Technician/Novice licensees to match the General class sub-bands in width on 15, 40, and 80. Technicians and Novices are still limited in power and may only use A1A CW on those bands.

Advanced and Novice are still listed because they haven't disappeared. They are grandfathered and can renew their current license. "Tech+" is irrelevent; since they dropped all code tests all Techs have the same HF access.

Dave_W6DPS

My bad, I should've been more clearer. Tired when I wrote it. :)
Has there been a new graph(printable) since 08? They have the 60m band plan listed on the graph, but the Advanced is still listed. Has the Advanced just been absorbed or grandfathered into the Extra and the General is it still the same as far as the frequency privileges that shows on the 08 band plan graph?
I had passed my general, but I guess I've always looked at it, without really looking at it.
Thanks Dave,

Jerry

... Has the Advanced just been absorbed or grandfathered into the Extra and the General is it still the same as far as the frequency privileges that shows on the 08 band plan graph?...

When the Advanced and Novice were grandfathered, it means the existing Advanced and Novice can stay as they are. Their privilidges haven't changed. But no one else can get those classes of license. From General you upgrade straight to Extra, with no option to get Advanced.

When the last Advanced and Novice licensees upgrade, expire, or become silent keys, then the class will disappear.

I am surprised there are still novices, but Advanced class has pretty good frequency access and I know several who have no interest in upgrading. So those sub-bands may be listed for quite a while.

Dave_W6DPS

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.