• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Use a lighter to find gas leak.

Reminds me of a guy in high school. His name was Gary.

Was trying to warm up a frozen gasline on a skidoo one time with a lighter.

Needless to say his name throughout high school became Gasline Gary. He'd get all upset if he heard you mention that.

Check out the slo-mo. It looks as if the cover never touched him. It looks it was close however.

Many years ago a buddy and I were walking along a rugged rocky coastline. There were lots of things littering the beach that had washed ashore. One such item was a plastic jerry can of about the 5 gallon size. It was bloated from being in the sun. Tony unscrewed the vent cap and held out his lighter expecting to see a flame shoot from the pressurized gas coming out the vent hole. Instead it simply went KAPOW!!! and shot straight up into the air about 75-100 feet just barely missing him. If it had hit him it would likely have killed him.It completely ripped that heavy plastic gas can apart. I can still see the look on his face. I was looking over my shoulder as I was running away when he said what he was going to do.I still remember seeing him squatting down and flicking his lighter. When the can exploded he was still just squatting there with a stunned look on his face and still holding the lighter in his hand as if nothing happened. It then became apparent that he was scared to death and simply froze when it happened. Funny to think about now but scary at the time.

As far up as that man hole cover flew, I imagine he'll have hearing loss to help remember that day.

During high school some of the guys would turn on the gas valves for the bunsen burners. Where the hose would connect they would hold a lighter. It made a flame thrower across the class room. No idea why they didn't burn the place down. Not sure why the gas was always left on either...

During high school some of the guys would turn on the gas valves for the bunsen burners. Where the hose would connect they would hold a lighter. It made a flame thrower across the class room. No idea why they didn't burn the place down. Not sure why the gas was always left on either...

I remember in biology class a couple of real smart ones turned on the valve and couldn't find a striker so they looked all over till they found one. They lit it and and a flame cloud about 6 ft in diameter engulfed their work station for about 2 seconds.
When they got back from suspension..............they were little angels.

We had those in jr high....really stupid leaving those things on for 11-12-13 yr olds to play with.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.