• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Using a small satellite dish as an 11 meter antenna

I say go for it! If you get anything out of it great. If not, so what. Who knows, might have some fun along the way with a great story to boot. And that my friend is what "it's" all about.

The dish is off of the roof !! Im looking into folded dipoles , magnetic loops and all kinds of other goodies ! More to come that's for sure ;)

73's 4-2-Zero Nj

Brian

Reactions: 2NC995
I have been playing around with this thing to today and i actually got it to work. What i did was drill out the center of a direct TV dish and mounted a 4 foot fire stick antenna there. I have it up about 10 feet right now as i am still working the bugs out but after figureing out the ground for this antenna i have the SWR down to 1.2. It's seems to receive and transmit very well and it is very directional with great rejection which is what i wanted from the start of this little project. The only reason i tried this was out of boredom but i was wondering if any of you have tried something like this.

The reason i posted this here was because most hams like to experiment and i thought that some of you may have tried this in the past.
Hi. I have joined today as this post as brought back a memory in/around 1987 I was living on my nana farm near the town of bridgnorth in Shropshire. I was a little bit bored so I open an old 55 gallon oil drum up as a dish stuck a dv27xn in the centre the end of the antenna was level ish with the lip of the dish I was moving it around in a pile of grain {dont ask} when I could here my friend in Shrewsbury some 17 miles away. But unlike normally I could here him on my sigma 4 on a 7-9 this time he was 30+ and I couldn't rf gain him back. But a few seconds later the dish moved slightly and I couldn't reposition it again.
I have wondered about this for years and now I have seen this thread it as got me thinking about trying this again
Thanks guys you brought back a great memory

Captain K, you are all hung up on theory, I was using a antron 99 on the base, the top section was a fiberglass whip that had been broken in half and I filed the end down and screwed it on the top, never could get the SWRS down below 3 but it talked great, But now I am using a walmart mag mount stuck in the center of a 3 foot snow dish and it rocks!!
I get 6 to 12 Lbs gain with my snow dish over the Antron, you guys can sit here and spout theory all day but until you get a $18 dollar mag mount and stick it on a snow dish you will never learn that book smarts is old school and REAL WORLD testing will blow theory out of the water..EVERYTIME >>>>>.and i just got DOWn!!

Jeff
:blink: :blink: :blink:
What the heck is a 3 foot "snow dish"??? I live in Michigan which is a Winter state and have lived in Germany also has harsh Winters and I have never heard of a "snow dish"?

Reactions: HomerBB
What the heck is a 3 foot "snow dish"??? I live in Michigan which is a Winter state and have lived in Germany also has harsh Winters and I have never heard of a "snow dish"?

Snow disk snow saucer silly saucer......all the same thing.

child-girl-bob-ride-on-slip-wallpaper-preview.jpg

We had one of those for the occasional ice storms we called snow. It was actually an old car hood we pulled behind a pick up truck.

Ford or Chevy?

We ran with a Mercury Outboard in 1970s Dallas after told brand-new blue jeans worn thru in a day wouldn’t be replaced.

Snow tires on the rear of a V8-440 powered Chrysler.
Inner tread was studded, outer half was a mudder.
The Draggin’ Wagon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated