• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Variable cap identification

KneeBiter

May 21, 2014
Anyone know the value of this cap? Can't find anything searching the number. It's a very old modification in a pal vfo I came across to switch in lower frequencies. Would like to mod another one this way.20230303_122537.jpg

It's a "46" style cap. Looking at the zoomed in pic it looks like it only has one mica layer so it's value is very low. It's probably like 5-30pf or 10-50pf, something like that.

It's a "46" style cap. Looking at the zoomed in pic it looks like it only has one mica layer so it's value is very low. It's probably like 5-30pf or 10-50pf, something like that.
I'll try both those values and see how it works. Thanks

The number on the side of the part is a so-called "house" number. This is what would appear in a factory service manual. If you order enough of a standard part, they'll print whatever number you want on the part, not necessarily the catalog number from the manufacturer of the part.

That's my guess, under 100 pf for sure. Probably under 50.

There's nothing magic about the physical form of this variable cap. A smaller, easier-to-get trimmer cap should work as well.

If you get into doing a lot of work, you can always get a Capacitance Meter, commonly found as LCR Meters. They are common and don't cost too much.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.