• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Varmint Linear Base Amplifier XL-600, tubes + schematic diagram

There's a member here named WolfRadio. I haven't seen any posts fro him lately though. I have a few questions about my XL-1000 that I would like a competent answer concerning the input tuner which is on the rear panel and whether or not there is a load tuner inside the cabinet that needs an adjustment. Maybe someone else can answer those questions but the only scheme I've seen on the net is for the XL-150 to XL-450 on CB Tricks.

73's

paging WolfRadio

If it is Eddie C you are talking about, I have not seen or heard from him here on the forum in a long time.....I am not sure he is still playing radio.
He is known for building some nice pieces of radio equipment back in the day

Caged Wolf.

Attachments

• pk10a.jpg
    pk10a.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 815
  • pk10b.jpg
    pk10b.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 670
  • pk10c.jpg
    pk10c.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 980
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
That is the second 4CX10,000D mobile amp I've seen in this stage by Wolf. I've tried to follow up on these but have never been able to confirm they were completed or working. Neutralization, bias and screen supplies still need to be completed as well as some wiring. I've met with Eddie and discussed some amplifier designs with him back in the late 1980's.

At the time he had already perfected some very impressive larger triode amps and was just starting to work on these tetrodes for mobile applications. I know shortly after this he gained an interest in FM broadcast and may have lost interest in the amplifiers. To date I have still not been able to confirm anyone has a working grid driven mobile broadcast tetrode.

None of the other builders like Ghost or Blue Gill even got this far with a mobile tetrode and all of the AC sky winners are using cathode driven boxes. I do believe Eddie had the knowledge to complete these projects but I just never heard anything more about either tetrode.

If it is Eddie C you are talking about, I have not seen or heard from him here on the forum in a long time.....I am not sure he is still playing radio.
He is known for building some nice pieces of radio equipment back in the day

Caged Wolf.

Yeah Shock that's the guy. His website is still up, maybe I should just call him. All I want to know is how to adjust the input tuning on my Varmint XL-1000 and I read on an older thread here that he knew the Varmints really well.

3's

I have a varmint xl-600 I changed the caps theres 8 diodes in 2 rows of 4 I have tried everything to find these diodes no luck any help on where I can find something to work would be great the number on the diodes are HD 7100 thanks

thank you.... i went and got my diodes today and got them in now i got to find a resistor 450ohm 10% 15w another hard one to find any idea what would work in there

just wanted to say thank you for all the help

question

I have a varmint xl-600 it needs a new transformer but I cant find any brand or numbers on it theres some old hand writing on it that says CTX 6b m p-mt s-bm s-bs st-mt so I have no clue what any of this means so any help I could get on finding a replacement transformer would be great thank you

my varmint xl-600 has a input adjuster on the back all I did was run a jumper from my radio to the swr meter from the swr meter to my varmint turned it all on and keyed down then I adjusted the input adjuster to bring my swr as low as I could get it.. it adjust the swr between your radio and you amp.. now I hope this is what you were talking about if it is I hope this will help you out.

yes she is still out there moved from fort Lauderdale up to the center of the state where I'm at about 45 minutes from me he dtd some modifications on my sb-220 very intelligent guy...

Hi,
I am running a XL-600 right now. It takes 6KM6 and
6KD6 Tubes. Two driving four. Mine talks the best tuned to the Super Mod position. I just re-tubed the amp, all six of them. 24hr Burn in and wow. Im driving it with a Galaxy 2 and half watt Dead-key radio will swing 25. it has been a slow process, in that I was very careful with the duration of key down time on the new glass. Now Im dead keying 600watts with some good forward swing. I have tried repeatedly to lower the dead key and be easy on my tubes. over and over with the sequence to no avail. that would be Plate, Load and Drive. In that order. Over and over, I have tried pulling back the load after peak doesn't matter where i try it. I can tell you this, the tuning stub on the rear of the amp is very important. After i peaked mine I adjusted it, saw another 200watts on Yaesu YS-60 meter. Its a dirty bleeding box but heaven forbid running against one especially a XL-1000. Yall take care, God Bless, Stay safe. Unit415 North Central Florida.

There's a member here named WolfRadio. I haven't seen any posts fro him lately though. I have a few questions about my XL-1000 that I would like a competent answer concerning the input tuner which is on the rear panel and whether or not there is a load tuner inside the cabinet that needs an adjustment. Maybe someone else can answer those questions but the only scheme I've seen on the net is for the XL-150 to XL-450 on CB Tricks.

73's
I have an XL-600 there is the tune adjustment on the rear of the amp and another on the chassis that's located up front between the Tune and Load.You will see it, has a slotted screw for adjustment.

varmint xl 600

I have a varmint xl 600 right here and let me tell ya it does the job well you can get tubes on Ebay here Palomar Skipper 300 Amp Tube Set 8950 to 6LB6 6KD6 6LF6 6LR6 Conversion Kit | eBay the 6lf6 $110.00 for a set of 4 my varmint works good but the other day the pre amp went out on it but other then that its a talker let me know if you need some pictures of the in side of it I can send you some
Hi on the hi low switch when you put it on low dose it remove the 2 drivers tubes and make it a 4 tube were you can drive it with more of dead key .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.