• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Varmint linear

Every amp builder was feeling heat back then, band switches showed up in an attempt to make them look legit, call them six or 15 meters amps, and include a paper showing how to move the tap on a coil or the little sticker that said "export only".
The JB 12 was a receive amp, untill you moved a couple wires around.
Palomar built some solid state amps that had actual band pass filtering and real band switching but that did not last long.
Texas Star got a sweet deal with the CW transmitter thing, the specifications said <5 watts on 28 mhz out of 4 2879s and no one blinked.

Jeff

Every amp builder was feeling heat back then, band switches showed up in an attempt to make them look legit, call them six or 15 meters amps, and include a paper showing how to move the tap on a coil or the little sticker that said "export only".
The JB 12 was a receive amp, untill you moved a couple wires around.
Palomar built some solid state amps that had actual band pass filtering and real band switching but that did not last long.
Texas Star got a sweet deal with the CW transmitter thing, the specifications said <5 watts on 28 mhz out of 4 2879s and no one blinked.

Jeff
Texas star thing....hey, the FCC was fully on board. I have always felt there is NO QUESTION that FCC has been on then take with the whole "10 meter"..... amps.....cb/10meter thing. It waaay obvious. 99% of all ofnit has been "allowed" or "overlooked" ornwjatever you want to call it. Obviously there were billions at stake, all told. Guarantee you FCC factions were not gonna cut their nose to spite their face and lose our on zillions of dollars all these years. No freakin way. Like the Texas star deal. How can it reasonably be explained that they put a rubber stamp on a "cw" enabled cb amp with 2x2879s or 2x2290s or 4x or 1x4, etc ? Or all the years h&y and copper were not only in operation but blatant advertising, lolol. And every once in a while there was some TOKEN bust or a sacrificial lamb to make them appear to be legit to dummies.

The Texas star people were Italian, I don't want to encourage stereotypes but I do believe the fcc may have got "a piece of the action".

LOL, The FCC raided Brewers Labs and hauled off over $200,000.00 of linears which may explain why I can't find a schematic for my XL-1000. I fortunately found a tech in Wisconsin that has it and has experience with tube linears. But if anyone has a JPEG or PDF file of a scheme I'd appreciate if you could share it. Thanks.

Consider that there are at least two versions of the XL1000 that I have seen. Schemo for one won't be quite right for the other.

Not positive but think I've seen maybe 3. Plus even waaay rarer is that TX1000 that I mentioned here awhile back. It looks almost exactly like the main XL1000 and it's the only one I've ever seen. On the front it says "CW TRANSMITTER" so someone suggested that his dying attempt to get the FCC to accept but I don't think it went over too well. Could be the rarest tube base there is... So where did those details about the raid come from?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.