• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Varmint XL1000 back from the undead.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
Just because you can doesn't always mean you should. Unless it's for a paying customer. The owner of this Varmint XL1000 has been a customer for 40-plus years, so telling him "NO" is not one of my bad habits. Besides, he's willing to pay what it costs.

When someone asks about rehabilitating a Varmint XL1000 base amplifier I generally answer "You can't afford it". It has three "baldie" tubes driving six 12-pin 6LF6/6KD6 type tubes. If you were to pay the average price for those nine tubes you could buy a decent solid-state base amplifier.

Fortunately for this customer he has a decent supply of tubes. Good thing, since I refuse to sell the sweep-type tubes. I don't like to sell anything I can't afford to stand behind if there's a problem down the line. And yes, it took more than the first nine tubes he came up with. Several of the driver tubes flunked on our tester.

One issue to remember is age. This one probably wasn't built the same year this fan is dated, but can't be much newer.

6SCd5r.jpg

One of the best reasons to turn down this kind of repair is the accumulated decades of shoddy or incompetent repair attempts.

RaZG9N.jpg

This model has most of the 'works', power supply, bias and keying circuits on a printed circuit board underneath. The component side is facing away from you, and there is neither a schematic diagram nor a layout showing where parts are placed. That, and the condition of this one makes replacing all the circuits on it the only viable path to making it useable again.

Zzx5oi.jpg

Everybody and his in-laws have been in this one. My favorite custom feature is this keying transistor on long lead wires, wrapped tastefully in black electrical tape. I never cared for pulling out this pc board to replace parts, but whoever did this really, really didn't want to.

72RZ05.jpg

The three 100uf high voltage filter capacitors on the circuit board are augmented by another string of three bolted to the chassis side rail under the two power transformers. They will get removed and replaced with a series string of three 220uf caps.

RvqtDN.jpg

This is the "Maco filter" board we sell on fleabay. Works fine in this model to replace the six 100uf caps it was built with.

yQvuSm.jpg

The circuit board had a full-wave bridge rectifier for the high voltage that used eight 1N5408 3-Amp rectifier. This replacement bridge is ugly, but uses the so-called "10-Amp" rectifiers. They look just like the 6-Amp parts, but the added safety margin can't be a bad thing.

YIcnOM.jpg

M1JyMT.jpg

The original setup had a switch on the front panel marked "High/Supermod". This uses a quirky circuit that kept getting changed from one production run to the next. Even so, this one gets a modified version of that feature.

It's in the center of the space in the center underside where the circuit board used to be. The 12-Volt relay supply is up against the rear panel at the top of this pic. The high-voltage rectifier bridge is still ugly on the bottom, and the stuff in the middle here puts a negative bias voltage onto the final tubes' grid circuits.

yU4K89.jpg

The driver tubes get their own separate bias source. One rectifier taps off the 6.3-VAC heater power and charges the 4700uf cap. The second diode isolates this filter cap from the driver tubes' grid circuit. This keeps any rectified "grid leak" voltage from charging up that fat filter cap.

hSF6Qo.jpg

Never assume that any one thing in a linear this old is still okay to use. This one got a new power switch. The old was badly tortured and beginning to cut out.

quKtVv.jpg

The original power cord had a plug that contained two glass fuses. This was a clever idea, but two-prong cords are just a bad idea for the most part. A circuit breaker got mounted on the rear panel, along with a 3-prong cord and plug.

There's more, but I'll have to finish this later on. It's my beditme.

Last edited:

I truly never want to go under the hood in those sweep tube boxes. They all look like that to me. Wires everywhere, old thin traces on brittle pcbs. There is less shit In a 30kw amp than is in that box.
Hats off to you for fighting the good fight nomad!

Pretty sure that the SuperMod increased the voltage to the tubes. Can't remember if I had a XL 250 or XL 350 in the past. I think the Supermod on it raised the voltage 200 to 300 volts.

I think the Supermod on it raised the voltage 200 to 300 volts.
Nope, it just messes with the control-grid bias on the driver tubes. Biggest problem for me was that in "High" mode (Supermod off) there was no fixed bias voltage at all on the driver tubes. This is bad policy, at least for tube life. I added negative 8 Volts of fixed bias to the driver tubes all the time, whether "High" or "Supermod" is selected.

The Supermod circuit takes the negative "grid leak" voltage developed across the control grids of the final tubes and feeds it back into the grid circuit of the three driver tubes.

Creates a sort of negative feedback to the amplitude of the carrier. Higher RF drive to the final grids produces a higher negative grid leak. When it gets fed back to the driver tubes' control grids this serves to reduce the carrier amplitude.

Varmint wasn't the only brand amplifier that used this trick.

Reactions: snippits75
Here is a followup on some parts of the story I left out last time.

This may have been the original relay. I wouldn't have left it in here even if it didn't look partly melted.

K4eL1S.jpg

The Tyco (Potter&Brumfield) KUP14D15 12-Volt relay to the rescue once again! Used the VHB trick on this one, too.

1bpkyW.jpg

The fuses had been located inside the TWO PRONG power plug. Has a 3-prong plug now.

YRq4n3.jpg

This circuit breaker's rating looks a bit large. Ran out of 20 Amp that day. Does prevent anyone from substituting a "no-blow" rated fuse.

3IoLHg.jpg

The new power cord doesn't look all that well restrained. Ran out of the right size "C" clamp that day. Had to buy more, after photography got done.

But those are the highlights.

And if someone walks up to you with one of these, and has plenty of tubes to get it running, tell him he can't afford it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated