• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VHF/UHF Activity Complaints

WA8ZYT

North Florida
Feb 21, 2012
Near Gainesville, Florida
dmfarms.com
I don't want to sound condescending here, please don't take it that way.

I think the reason most folks have poor results on these bands is due to poor antenna systems. So, I will give some advice in that regard.

Back when I first got on 6 meters, up in Ohio, I was in high school. I had an old battered Cush Craft 5 element beam up about 30 feet, fed with crappy, non foam dielectric RG8. For me, back then, DX was 50 miles, or a sporadic E opening. But there were tons of locals on, and I had a lot of fun. But I knew I was missing a lot. K8MMM was working stations in Florida I couldn't even hear. At all. I often thought he was just faking it. Until I saw his antenna system. Wow!, stacked long boom 5 element beams on a 100 foot tower fed with 7/8" heliax. I didn't even know they made coax like that! No wonder he could work all that DX.

Now, I realize that a lot of you are apartment dwellers, live in condos, or in neighborhoods with HOA's. You are probably stuck with repeaters and neighborhood simplex operations. When the band is open, during the summer, a halo or dipole will work. But for weak signal work, see below.

If you want to do some serious work on 6 meters, a good 5 element yagi, on an 18 foot boom up about 45', fed with decent feed line will get great results. LMR400 under 50', 50 to 150' LMR600 or better. A lot of folks on 6 chose that antenna height, and do quite well. Seems to be a "sweet spot" on 6 for some reason. My current antenna is a 6 element LFA up 62 feet, fed with LMR600.

On 2 meters, a lot of hams use single 9-11 element yagis, up 35 feet or more, fed with good LMR600 or half inch heliax or better. Myself, I have a 9 el LFA up 52' and can work 2-300 miles reliably, with 70 watts.

Biggest problem, however is everyone listens, nobody transmits. (I am guilty of this, myself!) Get on and make some noise! Monitor the chat groups and DX clusters. Subscribe to the 205 Morning Report.

VHF and UHF bands can be a lot of fun. Use them or loose them!

Hope this helps someone.

Reactions: 1 person

I agree that the antenna is the most important thing along with how it is installed. For several years I used a home brew six element 6m yagi on an 18 foot boom at 42 feet. Power was 100 watts and the feedline was about 100 feet long and was Andrews LDF4-50 heliax with Belden 8214 pigtails on each end for flexibility. I could work a lot of DX but long after the band closed to me I could still hear VE1YX on the coast working stuff I could not hear at all. Yeah forty feet or so is a good starting point for a yagi of five elements or more but unless you are right on the coast with a high hilltop location you can still make a lot of improvements. My new antenna system will comprise of the same six element yagi (why mess with success) but it will be at about 73 feet and will be using either the LDF-4 half inch heliax or possibly some 7/8 inch cable if my lead on some comes thru. My 2m array will consist of a Cushcraft A147-11 at 64 feet for FM and stacked 13B2's at about 68 feet and 78 feet also fed with either 1/2 inch heliax or the 7/8 cable depending on availability. Still only 100 watts on 6m at the moment but I do have a winter project to keep me busy as I purchased a Larcan TV transmitter module that needs to be housed in a cabinet with power supply to use as an amp. There has been great success in using these on 6m. It will run 1200 watts all day long.:D Now THAT should get me a bit more DX.

i agree completely, i have a directive systems 5 element 6 meter at 42 feet, with lmr 400, a 4 element short boom 6 meter 4 element at 35 feet, and an 11 element gulph alpha 2 meter cross polarity at 45 feet. all with lmr 400

i can hear repeater from south Florida every day on 2 m, (200 miles away)

so i must be doing something right, and 6 i can work the corners of the globe when open.

I agree that antenna is the key for DX contacts. But 6 meters seem to be a little different. I have a 6 element homebrew beam at 55 feet. I also have a homebrew vertical made on a cane pole with ladder line at 15 feet. I have worked DX stations on both. Guess that is why they call it the magic band lol.

2 meters and 70cm is different. I built a dual band quag to run vhf and uhf.
8 element vhf with 15 elements uhf. The mount was hinged to the boom and I used a small actuator to rotate the bean vertical and horizontal. Made lots of DX contacts on 2 meters.
Here is a pioc just before I put it on the tower. Last year a storm came through and removed it. :(

index.php

Sweet looking antenna, Radio Tech.

You guys that live in places where you can put up 75 foot towers suck, lol. Oh well, I guess I'll have to console myself with the nice 75 degree weather 10 out of 12 months and Laker girls, the beach....

Sweet looking antenna, Radio Tech.

You guys that live in places where you can put up 75 foot towers suck, lol. Oh well, I guess I'll have to console myself with the nice 75 degree weather 10 out of 12 months and Laker girls, the beach....

Thanks Moleculo. The weather here sux. Either hot, cold, rainy. Hardly nothing in between lol.
Anyway, all my antennas are homebrew but my hygain th6dxx I just put up. It is an old used one but rebuilt.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.