• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VIKING VALIANT

M

mack2000

Think I'm gonna by one because that's when they made good radios, you know the ones that had tubes in them.

skywarn-1.jpg

Quote KD5VHF a mod at WWRF

-------------------------------------

If and when you ever learn about radio equipment you will see that a CB radio compared to ham gear is like a skate board is to a Rolls Royce. Sure they both are means of transportation but there is a BIG difference. I'm not saying a skateboard isn't fun to ride, It's just not for everyone. </p>

I like the comparison, but consider that it's a good bit cheaper to restore a 1960 skateboard to use every day than it is to restore a 1960 Rolls to drive to work.

Forty years will take its toll on some of the components even if it is "show-room new" with only 500 original miles.

A Valiant with a lot of miles may have a failed modulation transformer. It's usually the first of that kind of part to fail in a Valiant.

Reaching the interior of the VFO enclosure is a lot of labor, but cleaning the rotary switch hidden inside may be necessary.

And nobody has a viable "Variable Key" setup worked out for that radio, yet. So far, the setup we have tried for that is unsatisfactory. Might not want to say too much about it if we ever get it worked out.

If you plan to run it barefoot, a 150-Watt (or so) carrier is okay, but most amplifiers will have a heart attack with that kind of drive.

Old transmitters and old cars come in two categories.

1) The "fixer-upper" that needs to have the last 40 years' maintenance caught up on it. Tends to be cheaper than:

2) The "restored" specimen, that the previous owner poured money into so it would deliver the original level of service. The guy who sells one of these usually wants that money back, and asks a higher price than for a "fixer-upper".

M3D.jpg
</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.