• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Vintage (70's) Cobra 29 XLR driver/final combo...

Cobra2000

Jul 12, 2007
Is there a good driver/final combo for this old late 70's rig? It has a pretty anemic C2028 driver / C2029 final pair in it now...

The pinout on the C2028 driver is backwards from a C2166 driver E-C-B vs. B-C-E. The final pinout, however, is the same as a C1969.

Just swapping in the C1969 final w/o any tuning drops a watt or so dead key. The 2028 driver probably doesn't have much on the gain end of things. I guess the C2166 could be used as a final, leaving the C2028 driver in place. Any tips?

*Edit - Looks like the 2166 is about the same power (6W) as a 2029. Maybe I'll just do a contortionist act with heat shrink on the 2166...

JustinD, I know you had to have run into one or two of these...help... ;)

usually the "2314" driver matches up very nicely with the 1969s . This is basically the mod IM sure you have heard of that's supposed to give 45 to 50 watts pep . There are a few other part changes involved concerning certain AM only radios. I've personally never saw more then 40 watts pep with all the other part changes in any radio I've experimented on and doing them a few different ways at that. Depending on the radio ? the driver and final change should yield at least 28 to 30 or so watts pep with about a 7 watt DK . Like I said , would depend on the radio at hand ? I see these numbers with Cobra/Uniden/Realistic type radios 25s/29s/66s/68s/76s/78s/427s/ and a few others. IM really not to sure about your XLR series radios ? You might check out the mod section of this Forum ,there's a lot of goodies in there that might help you. Some folks claim to get the 45 to 50 watts pep out of them but they either want to charge you for it and don't document how they do it ,but like I said before ,20 years in this hobby and I have yet to see any of the radios I just mentioned ever do 50 watts pep concerning this 1969 mod !! NEVER !!

neither have i.most ones ive seen 25-35pep.a good mod for
that radio that i like better than that is some call
super mod/swing kit.involes swapping out a resister or 2
cant remember.i like it cause mod limiter stays intact
usually my tech,also local friend gets 2watt dk with 15-18 watts pep.way more audio plus can run a amp with this setup
with impressive results.my 2 cents

Thanks guys...I'll mess with it a bit, maybe round up a 2SC2314 and see what happens.

Dale, I see you made it on CEF net Sunday...didn't hear ya out there. Pat was makin' a lot of racket...maybe next Sunday... :twisted:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.