• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Vintage/classic stereo gear ?

Cabover Bob

Nov 17, 2020
Haven't had any decent quality audio gear for decades, and the wife and I both really enjoy a wide variety of music. Considering getting some classic gear and start collecting vinyl.

I really loved my Advent speakers when I was young, and have found a very nice pair of towers for a very reasonable price.

Also found a direct drive Garard turntable that is appealing, but can't recall if belt or direct is more desireable. Of course I will have to get a quality cartridge as well, don't know anything about them, hoping you guys might make suggestions.

I'm also considering a modern tube amplifier, but have absolutely no idea what to be looking for, I'm sure that a few of you can point me in the right direction.........

TIA

Todd

If you want to play multiple albums at a time, finding one of these is good, or at least repairable shape for a good price is the way to go.
I grew up with one and remember it always sounding top notch.

To me DIRECT DRIVE always preferred. My SL1300 Technics is over 40 years old still A++...Empire cartridge.
Vintage tube gear cost is nuts, but if you have no budget....go for it!!!!! I have a Harmon Kardin solid state receiver...excellent sound...Vinyl rules...
One of these days may build one of these kit tuber amps, but really the cost of 1K++ by the time your done???

Thanks guys ! These are my first considerations for dippin my toes into it......
Advent towers @ $220
Screenshot_20220607-060840_Chrome.jpg

Garard direct drive @ $140
Screenshot_20220607-060907_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: undertaker
Sl1200 mk2 table. I use that with a Carver preamp through 2 McIntosh mc75 amps into ADS towers. My records sound awesome. And not 17 year old me awesome with loads of bass and bleeding ears. Clarity awesome that middle aged me really enjoys.

Reactions: Cabover Bob
BJR-

I had a set of 4 original 2-way Advent speakers for decades. My son has them now. Had to replace the bass speakers with new ones when the cones and suspensions dried out. Still sound 100%.

Back in the day , the "speed secret" with Advent speakers was to stack them with the top speakers upside down. Flip the speaker grilles on the top pair and all looked normal. The original Advents were a little short on bass, and stacking them fixed that. I don't know if stacking works with 3-way Advents, but thought I'd mention it.
My only caveat is to run the speakers at almost max volume to check the voice coils and the cone suspensions before buying.

Sometimes I still wish I had my system. It would be nice to listen to some old vinyl now and then. Good luck and enjoy.

BTW ... don't forget to buy a Discwasher.

Last edited:
My stuff is Carver, M-500 amp with C-1 preamp. I have a Teac X-3 real to real along with a Technics Sl-1200 TT. The CD player is a Carver TL-3300. All that is feeding to a set of Realistic MachII speakers. I know people look down on Radio Shack but I really like the sound of these speakers. I have a Nak Dragon cassette deck but it stopped working a couple of weeks ago and have not had time to get to it.

Well that's two suggestions for Technics SI-1200. Curious how the Garrard DD-75 that I'm considering compares ?

Well that's two suggestions for Technics SI-1200. Curious how the Garrard DD-75 that I'm considering compares ?
That's a great table. But the sl1200mk2 is in my opinion a table with a good cartridge installed will rival all these so called audiophile tables at 10 times the price. But honestly a good working table with a good cartridge will sound great as long as its a decent brand name table.

I have always liked REK-O-KUT turntables. Professional grade. When I worked at WNAP-Indianapolis as a DJ, they rebuilt our BC studio. I was able to get their old REK-O-KUT tables, Soundcraftsman EQ, and Shure mics when they upgraded.
Before you spend the money on the Garrard, I suggest you read the article at the link I've attached

There is a lot more to consider when buying a table then type of drive, cartridge, and brand name. Personally, I feel that Garrard equipment is pretty middle-of-the-road. If you're going to spend a bunch of $$$, do some deep research first.

Another table link: https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=29180.0

Edit: Don't let the prices that the author quotes in the article scare you. There are a lot of R-O-Ks out there at reasonable prices. If you're gonna build a system, make it the best you can.
- J.J.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cabover Bob
To me DIRECT DRIVE always preferred. My SL1300 Technics is over 40 years old still A++...Empire cartridge.
Vintage tube gear cost is nuts, but if you have no budget....go for it!!!!! I have a Harmon Kardin solid state receiver...excellent sound...Vinyl rules...
One of these days may build one of these kit tuber amps, but really the cost of 1K++ by the time your done???

If direct drive units are dampened correctly then yes they are highly preferred. When I worked in radio all the TT's in the studio were all DD because they spun up quickly.

I've looked around locally for Rek-O-Kut, nothing........

So I'm making a deal today for the Garrard DD-75 tt and a Technics SA-600 receiver. Both units $300.

I'm trying to establish communication with a couple of sellers of Sansui SP-2700 and SP-3000. Open to suggestions of comparable pieces.

Todd

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated