• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Volt Meter

Radio Tech

Radio Operator
Sep 9, 2008
North Carolina
www.gokarters.com
Not really the right forum to ask this but since what I am using it for....

What do you guys use to check power supply voltages on big tube amplifiers?
I have zap yet another vtvm. And this time it is a done deal. B&K meter. this is the 1500 volt model using the 4k probe. Was checking a transformer rated arounf 3 k.

A lot of amps I work on are rated between 2 to 3.5 k volts. I really need to find a dependable volt meter (one that is safe). Tird on getting smoke in my eye... Any suggestions?

I use a Tripplet 630-PLK like this one except my meter is a bit older and even though it has the same model number as the one in the link it has another pair of jacks on the front for reading up to 5000 volts AC or DC. This is the same meter I used in the broadcast bizz and used it MANY MANY times to routinely measure high voltages in the 2200-2500 range as well as 3100 and 4800 volts. Look on Ebay for them but make sure they have the 5000 volt input jack on the left side of the range dial.

Electro-Meters: Triplett 630-PLK Series, Analog Multimeters

The Triplett 630 series are some fine instruments. They were among the first to use the taut-band suspension movement, eliminating the pivot-and-jewel friction of the original d'Arsonval system. The 630-NA was the workhorse at the shipyard we supported, along with the AN/PSM-4 series.

The Triplett was (maybe still is) the easiest analog multimeter to service.

And, with the higher-voltage capability, it is certainly not out of place on any workbench.

Why are you measuring high voltage? Just curious.

Good question. Lets say you have a large number of "unkown" transfomers. Beforre they can be used you must have an idea of where they are on the voltage scale. I would not want to "guess it" with a transformer that produces 3500 volts in a circuit designed for 1500 volts.

morse, thanks for that link. My ebay still does not see it when I search.
And at a good price also.

That is the exact meter that I have and it DOES have the extended HV range to 5000 volts AC and DC. One small note about that meter, for the resistance ranges it takes two batteries. one is a common D-cell and the other is a 30 volt photographic battery which is still available. You only need the batteries for measuring resistance.The 30 volt battery is a bit pricey but it will last about a dozen years. You may be able to squeeze three 9 volt cells in it's place.

Triplett 37-19 - 30 Volt Battery - Model 60NA, Most 630 Models: SystemsStore.com

I am sure there are cheaper places to get it but at least you know what kind it is.

RADIOTECH -

Next time you need to test a transformer to determine its secondary voltage, you might want to try this.
Get a transformer with a 12vac secondary, and connect that secondary across the primary of the transformer you want to test. Apply 110 vac to the primary of the 12 volt xmfr, and measure the voltage across the secondary of the xmfr under test. Let's say it measures 240 vac. Simple math gives a turns ratio of 1:20, so for a 110 vac input this transformer will have a secondary voltage of 2200 vac. An easy way to test a hv or plate xmfr without putting your meter at risk. 73s.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.