• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

volume and squelch knobs loose, not adjusting

medic18d

Nov 23, 2013
hello all i have a yaesu ft 8100r and the knobs on the left side have become loose thus losing ability to control the left bands volume ans squelch.

Is this an easy fix or do i now own half a radio?
any help on this manner would be greatly appreciated .

Link below will have a Ph# to call.
You will have to replace the whole pot yourself (surprisingly, these parts are very inexpensive). Or you can arrange to have them work on it. I replaced one of the double pots on my FT8800, as the outer shaft/knob got sheared off somehow. So long as you have decent soldering skills, you can do it. I did it in less than 30 min and the part arrived from Yaesu within 4 days - IIRC. $10-12/shipped.

Welcome to Yaesu.com

Link below will have a Ph# to call.
You will have to replace the whole pot yourself (surprisingly, these parts are very inexpensive). Or you can arrange to have them work on it. I replaced one of the double pots on my FT8800, as the outer shaft/knob got sheared off somehow. So long as you have decent soldering skills, you can do it. I did it in less than 30 min and the part arrived from Yaesu within 4 days - IIRC. $10-12/shipped.

Welcome to Yaesu.com

thank you kindly

Two questions: First is it just the knobs that are loose on the shafts?

Second: Robb.....do the new pots come with new knobs too?

If the knobs are slipping on the shafts then new pots will not likely cure the problem.

Two questions: First is it just the knobs that are loose on the shafts?

Second: Robb.....do the new pots come with new knobs too?

If the knobs are slipping on the shafts then new pots will not likely cure the problem.[/QUOT

the whole shaft seems to be loose, there is ample "play" in all directions as far as i can gently wiggle the whole apparatus in all directions .

Gotcha. You said the knobs were loose and not the entire shafts. That's why I was asking. Sometimes the knobs can loosen on the shafts and you need new knobs or tighten the tiny setscrew if it has one.

Reactions: 1 person
The 8100 had it's share of problems! I know, I still have one. It has been back to Yaesu once in warranty, once to a local repair shop and I have had to do every repair mod known to man for it!
The FT-8100 Yahoo users group has a lot of info in the files section you may want to take a look at.

One common problem is that the small boards that the volume controls mount to can break loose or that the control will come loose of the little board, I don't remember which it is any longer. That may be what you are experiencing. For me, it just would not switch bands when I pushed the volume control in. I don't remember any of the specifics any longer but there is info about it in the user group.

When the 8100 is working alright it is a very nice dual band rig. Mine is a shack rig now.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.