• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Voyage VR 9000 squeal

basstracker1970

Nov 6, 2012
I have a Voyage vr9000 I just got off ebay. Radio looks like new and sounds awesome with loud audio and great receive swings around 30w. My problem is I keep hearing that this radio has talkback but i see no control for it. When I turn on my amp and key the radio I get a nasty squealing you can hear in the amp itself and the power shoots up to 300w asap. I can turn amp off and radio alone talks fine with no squeals. I also hear no talkback from this radio even with the echo turned on. I have been seeing ways to disconnect the talkback on this radio by cutting a wire but my radio has no wire there to cut. I just want to be able to run this radio with my amp it's a kl-503...

Reactions: 1 person

The thing is even with the echo turned on or off I hear no talkback. But i can't run a amp with this radio because of a bad squeal or something like that you can hear it in the amp reverbing. I don't know if someone already disabled the talkback in the radio because like i said i don't hear any talkback from radio.

But i can't run a amp with this radio because of a bad squeal or something like that you can hear it in the amp reverbing.

I have the exact same problem with my 9000, and the echo functions as it should. Echo on, talkback on. Could it have something to do with the mic plug on these? Are you running it mobile when you get the squeeling?

Only squeals with the amp on? most likely rf feedback . make sure you have a good ground, ferrites on the mic cable and dc leads might also help . Check if it does it on a dummy load.Also see if it improves with less drive .

Reactions: 1 person
I am running it as a base radio. I also have a galaxy dx 2527 beside it which I use an antenna switch to switch between radios. The dx2527 base radio has no problems at all with amp on or:bdh: off and I have run many other mobiles as a second radio in my setup with no problems at all. It's just this vr9000 seems to not be liking something I don't know but it's making me pull hair out. Where can I look at radio to see if talkback was removed correctly or at all. It must have been removed because the radio has no talkback.

Also this is using a D104M6B power mic on the radio. I have a peanut mic on the way to see if that helps.. I have turned the mic all the way off and same thing. I have even taken a paper clip and crossed pins 1 and 3 to get radio to transmit and still squeals. The thing that kills me is the other night i turned it on and it talked for about an hour with amp on and was loud and clear. The next time i turned amp on with it the squeal was back. I don't know....

Thanks that was a good find. Then why does everyone talk about it have talkback. Like i said before mine doesn't because I hear nothing when i talk. Then what is the deal with this radio squealing so bad with a amp. No other radios has done this on my setup.

I have not had one of these radios since 2003. try lifting D80 and see if you get talkback.some sights show it having talkback with the echo turned on. just do not remember if mine I had the talkback to come on with the echo.

I have not had one of these radios since 2003. try lifting D80 and see if you get talkback.some sights show it having talkback with the echo turned on. just do not remember if mine I had the talkback to come on with the echo.

I've been on a few forums today reading about the 9000. It seems that the older ones had it. I guess the old resistor trick could get you talkback but he's trying to figure out what's causing the squeal. Something I no know nothing about yet. Don't know why I got off on talkback. I was working and breezed over these posts. :O

Thanks that was a good find. Then why does everyone talk about it have talkback. Like i said before mine doesn't because I hear nothing when i talk. Then what is the deal with this radio squealing so bad with a amp. No other radios has done this on my setup.
Still think it's rf feedback. Some radios are more susceptible than others .amplified mics can be very sensitive to rf .Check all your connections ,Try a standard mic.Check swr between radio and Amp.

I will try a standard mic and see what happens. What is puzzling me is that I talked on this radio one night with amp on with a power mic for abount an hour and all was great. Then next time the squealing was back. That doesn't make sence.

I'm right there with you Basstracker. I can use my 9000 in the house with my 2 pill and not have a problem, it's when I put it in the

mobile and flip the switch on that 2 pill. .. .I have a problem. And very similar to you. .. .every now and then can I talk on it in the mobile with the amp on and she'll co-operate, but I gave up. Still very puzzling!:bdh:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.