• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Voyage VR-9000 SSB

basstracker1970

Nov 6, 2012
Hello hope I can get some help here. I have a VR-9000 and AM works awesome swinging to around 35 watts from a 2 watt dead key. The problem I am having is on ssb. When I key up on LSB or USB the radio goes to full power. I know ssb doesn't have a carrier and only swings up with modulation added but this radio when keyed goes right to 35 watts and when i talk will move up more to about 40 watts. What could be causing this to happen. Thank you in advance...

I'm only guessing that it's squealing. Turn the mic gain down, or do as sp5it says, remove the mic and test it into a dummy load.

RT307

This is only happening on side band am is fine no feedback problems no squealing reports say its loud and clear on am. But when I go to ssb and just key the mic up it jumps to 30 watts right off without saying a word into the mic.

I have a question. On the inside of radio where the power plug is there are two coil looking things hooked one to the positive side and one to the negative side of the power plug. Now the one on the neg side has been really hot like power was hooked up backwards at one time. The black plastic thing that the copper wire is wrapper arounf is just chattered into pieces and that wire it burnt. What is that part so I can replace it. I can take a pic so you can see what im talking about.

Reactions: 1 person
I ordered it with R&R Communications. 3 bucks ea got a couple of them.

If I recall there is a small choke on the microphone board too that can be known to cause what your seeing, offhand I can't remember its value,6.8uh or 4.7uh if I recall,if the one you plan on replaceing doesn't cure it,check out microphone socket board if I recall it doesn't affect am or fm just ssb.I had it with a ss3900,was caused by using a powermike set too high if I recall.

The same coil is used on all uniden/uniden clone export radios,probably most Am/Fm rigs too, but I aint too into either Am or Fm so been a long time since I bothered opening one up,as far as I'm concerned if a radio don't have ssb it ain't worth having.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.