• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

vx8r satellite help

KB3TQO

Mar 26, 2010
Chambersburg PA
I sent this as a private message to MOLECULO and he thought it would be a good idea to post it here so everyone can benefit from it

Originally Posted by KB3TQO
if it all possible, could you write me in detail how to program my vx8r with the odd split that you demoed in the how to operate sats from a handheld video. i just recently got my ticket and then upgraded to general class a few weeks ago and im really stoked about sat operating. ao-51 and the iss are going to be my first attempts. could i work the sats using both (a) and (b) bands or is there an easier way?
thanks in advance
Chris kb3tqo
btw, youre awsome keep up the good work

I'll describe what I did. There are a couple of ways to do this, but this is what works for me:

First, you are going to allocate five consecutive memory channels on your radio to the satellite. You need to do this to accommodate the doppler shift effect on the 440Mhz band.

The primary downlink frequency on AO-51 is 435.300. The uplink is 145.920, with a PL of 67Hz. Because of the doppler effect, you need to shift your starting listening frequency higher than the main downlink frequency and then shift it lower as it passes over.

Look up in the manual how to program Odd Split memories. In my VX-8 manual, it is page 48. Like I said, you should use 5 memories, and label for easy recall. I labeled mine according to the satellite name, with an a,b,c,d,e,f following to tell me where to start. So, I have 5 consecutive memories labeled A0-51a, A0-51b, A0-51c, A0-51d, A0-51e. On the VX-8, page 50 tells you how to label memories. The transmit frequency is the same for all 5 memories. I start the first receive or downlink frequency 10Khz above the downlink frequency on the first memory that I labeled A0-51a. That works out to 435.310 Mhz. Then on the next memory channel (A0-51b) I set the RX frequency to 435.305Mhz. Memory A0-51c RX is 435.300, A0-51d RX is 435.295, A0-51e RX is 435.290Mhz. Remember, the TX frequency is the same on all 5 memories (145.920, with a PL of 67Hz).

One last thing I do to help organize the memories and make it easy to find is set up memory banks for each satellite. Once you have it set up, when you select the bank for the satellite you want, it makes it so you can't accidentally change to other frequencies. Not all radios can do this, but it's a nice feature of the VX-8. Check page 53 in the manual for details.

Programming the memories and banks is pretty tedious, but it is WAAAAAAY easier and quicker if you purchase the programming software by RT Systems. I highly recommend the software if you are planning on putting in all the satellites and other repeaters in your area.

Now, when the satellite is low on the horizon, start listening on the first memory, pointing the antenna at the satellite. On my radio, the first one is labeled A0-51a. As the bird makes it's pass, you will hear it start to fade. If moving the antenna doesn't bring the bird back into your RX, change to the next memory. AS you progress through the memories, you should find that the middle (A0-51c) memory will be at the apex of the pass. Sometimes you have to quickly change back and forth between memory channels to find the one that works the best at a particular time.

Remember, keep your squelch wide open while trying to work the satellites. Using headphones is also a very good idea.

Like I said, take a look at the pages I pointed out in the manual and if you need help with something specific after trying it out, let us know! Be sure to fill us in on your progress as you try this out. (y)

moleculo,

Following your instructions (as well as the VX-8R manual in my lap), I managed to get everything programmed in -- by hand, no less!!

I'm going to have a really good pass of AO-51 in a little over an hour as I write this. Now that the little rig is all programmed and ready to go, I'm going to try it out!

Not expecting much, however. I'm using a ducky antenna (Comet CH-75). After the pass (which should be over with at 18:05ish local time), I'll be sure to come back here and post my results.

This will be my first time ever working a satellite (if I can get to it)!!!

Thank you SO much for the detailed instructions! It is VERY much appreciated!

73 and all of that,
--Alex / KF4YOR

Results of my first attempt at satellite communications:

Got the doppler shift down with tracking across the sky!! In the background of the hiss and noise, I distinctly heard a FEW folks talking!!! However, not clear enough to make out words -- much less a callsign. Called CQ a number of times as AO-51 passed over, but I just don't think I made it.

But man oh man do I have the SatBug now!! Fortunately in my arsenal -- I've got the makings of a good 2m/70cm antenna! Yagi/quagi/something! As well as a VHF amplifier. I also have a rotator with azimuth control -- so I may give this a go next time around with my IC-7000.

Once again, thank you moleculo for the VERY concise instructions.

Guess nobody wins the lottery on the first go-round, eh?

--Alex / KF4YOR

How did you orient the ducky antenna as it went over? You can't just hold the radio with the antenna pointing to the sky to get into the satellite; rather, you have to hold the antenna so that it is broadside to the satellite at all times. If you want to try with a ducky antenna, the easiest way to do it (if there is such a thing) is to use a hand mic and hold the radio out with the other hand. Then you point the radio so the antenna is always broadside to the satellite, sweeping it across the sky as it makes the pass. If the satellite is passing from left to right, you will move it's orientation something like this: / -- \ That's crude, but I hope you get the picture.

Another thing: don't call CQ on the satellite. Instead, state your callsign followed by your grid square and say "hand held". So you will say, "KF4YOR, EM83GW, hand held". If you hear another station calling that noone is responding to, you can call that station too, if you want. The key is to use your grid square and the phrase, "hand held". Usually I find that if people hear that you're using a hand held they will try to make sure and let you in to get a few contacts, because it's a lot harder for you than it is for a base or mobile station!

Hope those tips help.

o.k. got it. that was the first time ive ever had fun programing this radio. ao-51 is covered but what about doppler shift when trying contact the crew on the I.S.S.???
TX is on the 70cm and RX on the 2m band. do you still only shift the 70cm freqs?
thanks again,
chris
kb3tqo

what about doppler shift when trying contact the crew on the I.S.S.???
<acronym title="transmit">TX</acronym> is on the 70cm and <acronym title="receive">RX</acronym> on the 2m band. do you still only shift the 70cm freqs?

Contact with the crew is a hit or miss type of thing. They have other duties besides yacking on the radio, but supposedly you can catch them. I have yet to get a contact. Contact with the crew is on on VHF only. The frequencies are 144.490 up, 145.800 down, although the crew does move around a bit. Check this site for updated reports on where the crew has been heard and what frequency they're using: Amateur Radio Status | ISS Fan Club

If you want to use the repeater on the ISS, you TX and UHF and RX on VHF. You will have to worry about the doppler effect on the UHF side, but when you're transmitting on UHF to the bird, you start with the lower frequency and work to higher frequencies. It's exactly opposite than when you're RX on UHF. Remember the repeater is not always turned on in the ISS.

Another way to get a "contact" is by bouncing an APRS packet through the ARISS digipeater. I've done this, and when your name shows on the "Stations Heard through the ISS" website, it makes you feel pretty good!

If you do make contact with the crew, be sure and let us know!

How did you orient the ducky antenna as it went over? You can't just hold the radio with the antenna pointing to the sky to get into the satellite; rather, you have to hold the antenna so that it is broadside to the satellite at all times. If you want to try with a ducky antenna, the easiest way to do it (if there is such a thing) is to use a hand mic and hold the radio out with the other hand. Then you point the radio so the antenna is always broadside to the satellite, sweeping it across the sky as it makes the pass. If the satellite is passing from left to right, you will move it's orientation something like this: / -- \ That's crude, but I hope you get the picture.

That is precisely what I did! I mean, to the letter -- precisely! Speaker/mic, orientation, the sweeping...
Another thing: don't call CQ on the satellite. Instead, state your callsign followed by your grid square and say "hand held". So you will say, "KF4YOR, EM83GW, hand held". If you hear another station calling that noone is responding to, you can call that station too, if you want. The key is to use your grid square and the phrase, "hand held". Usually I find that if people hear that you're using a hand held they will try to make sure and let you in to get a few contacts, because it's a lot harder for you than it is for a base or mobile station!

Hope those tips help.

They do, and thank you again! As far as calling CQ, I was just announcing my callsign and location (not my grid square). "CQ CQ this is KF4YOR in Athens Georgia" with the phonetics of my call. Certainly will take your advice on calling CQ as you said. Makes a LOT more sense.

Got a guy in my local club that has worked satellites with an HT and .05 watt (50mw). Next meeting is next week. I'm defiantly going to bring it up! He wrote something about that here:

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=225618

Again, thank you for such concise info!!

--Alex / KF4YOR

no contact, but thats ok. hit or miss, i can work with that. i did get to see the i.s.s. scooting across the sky though and that was pretty cool. i havent tried ao-51 yet.
thanks for all the help
chris
kb3tqo

Which program do you guys use to track/predict satellite over passes.
I just downloaded Orbitron, but I don't see AO-51 on the list.

Would you suggest any better program available for free download.

thanks in advance.

thanks in advance.

I use the "HRD Satellite Tracking" bit of the Ham Radio Deluxe suite. I'm using the latest version 5 beta.

Major project this weekend. Ordered the Elk antenna (should be in tomorrow), dug out an old camera tripod, my banged up IC-T7H (to use solely as TX), my trusty MJF Duplexer, got my cables all made, will be making a hardware store run for PVC/hardware/mounting plates for the rigs, and should hopefully be talking by this weekend!!

I'm RX'ing practically every pass -- even sub-10 degree passes with a Comet CH-75 on the VX-8R. No response to my TX's yet.

Got the satellite bug, I do...

Anyway, I've tinkered with various tracking programs and keep coming back to the HRD Satellite Tracking program.

Good luck!

thanks in advance.

Milos,

I use Orbitron and am looking at AO-51 as I type this (it's over the Pacific Ocean at the moment). When you're in Orbitron, click on "Load TLE," then select the "amateur" file from the list. AO-51 is in that list. Click the box to the left of AO-51 to view its path and current location.

Milos,

I use Orbitron and am looking at AO-51 as I type this (it's over the Pacific Ocean at the moment). When you're in Orbitron, click on "Load TLE," then select the "amateur" file from the list. AO-51 is in that list. Click the box to the left of AO-51 to view its path and current location.

Hey, thats great. Thanks for suggestion. I only looked it a bit last night.
I will try loading TLE when i get home after work (if my 4 month old son lets me :)

btw.
I also got to check prediction for ISS over NY, and there was no passes predicted as far as December 2011 which i set as parameter. I might have to change parameters a bit ?!
:-(

thanks a lot both of you.

KC2WIC
cheers

I usually use SatScape for detailed tracking. If I want to get a quick overview of where all the major birds are at, I just click on the "Satellite Maps" link on the menu at the top of this site.

I will try loading TLE when i get home after work (if my 4 month old son lets me :)

btw.
I also got to check prediction for ISS over NY, and there was no passes predicted as far as December 2011 which i set as parameter. I might have to change parameters a bit ?!

KC2WIC
cheers

btw.

KC2WIC
cheers

No problem, hopefully that works. I am at work but I'll run some predictions when I get home to see when the ISS will be passing by our area (I see you're on LI and I'm up in the Hudson Valley). You may have your parameters set too high.

As Moleculo said, I would check out SatScape as well. Both are good programs and you can usually use a little bit from both when you're predicting passes.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.