• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX8R Volume Problem

Nursecosmo

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin Northwoods
I'm sure that I'm just missing something in the menu settings, but sometimes my VX8R will change volume settings apparently by itself between one day and the next. I use it at work to scan local EMS and Law Enforcment channels. While scanning the various banks which I have set up, it sometimes requires me to push the FW key in order to change volume, but other times the main dial and up/down buttons are always stuck on volume adjustment, and in order to adjust scanning, frequency, etc, I have to press the FW key. What am I missing?

It sounds to me like you're hitting the FW and VOL buttons (maybe accidientally) which changes the behavior of how you adjust the volume. When you do that, it toggles the volume setting so you have to use the up and down arrow instead of the dial on top. I have mine set with MENU 107-VOLUME MODE to "Auto Back". This makes it so when you hit the VOL button, it leaves the volume adjustment functioning for a few seconds so you can turn the dial. Then it turns the volume adjustment back off. For complete details on that function, see this thread: http://www.worldwidedx.com/handitalkies/35644-yaesu-vx-8r-volume-setting-helps-mobile-use.html

If you have it plugged into the car charger, wall wart, or external DC power supply and turn off that power supply (or unplug the power cable) the radio will revert back to the settings it was at before it was turned on (even if a battery is plugged in). You could be noticing that in combination with what moleculo said.

jm

Thanks for the response Mole. I am already familiar with that menu setting from reading the manual.

ke7vvt: my problem was due to what you mentioned in the thread which Mole linked to. I have been hitting both VOL and FW at the same time. I wish that that little tidbit had been listed in the manual. Perhaps it was and I simply missed it. Thanks guys. 73's and catch ya on the air sometime.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio