• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base W-I-D-E Banded 2008

Greg T

WDX-945 (Jazz Singer) Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Sep 18, 2014
Escanaba, Michigan
I made a quick, impromptu video of my wide-banded system tonight. No, it's not a faulty meter. I've tried this with about 4 good meters and even with the internal radio meter. I don't know why this turned out the way it did, but I'm not complaining. If I were to go all the way to 1.5:1 I could probably use nearly the entire radio's frequency capabilities. The power cables and coax look a mess, but rest assured I am extremely fussy about quality soldering, etc. Take a look at the vid and let me know what you think.

That's great if you plan on using all that bandwidth; it's perfect.

If all you want is to run 10/11 meters, then forward gain can be improved.

I usually run channel 14 and up. Last night the noise was bad so my Saturday night chat was held on 27.575 all night. A guy from Boston broke in and said he'd been listening for over an hour. Once in a while I bump up to 27.705 and that's about as high as I go. It's extremely convenient that I don't need a tuner or have to worry about match.

Hmmm....not convinced there's nothing wrong. It's supposed to have a bandwidth below 2:1 of 1750kHz. Usually when you see a low SWR over that much bandwidth it's because of loss somewhere. My Imax 2000 is supposed to have a bandwidth below 2:1 of 2MHz and that what it has on the end of 100ft of Ultraflex 10 coax with RF chokes at either end and the Imax ground plane kit. If I go up 10kHz from the low end or down 10kHz from the high end of that 2MHz bandwidth the SWR falls.

Hmmm....not convinced there's nothing wrong. It's supposed to have a bandwidth below 2:1 of 1750kHz. Usually when you see a low SWR over that much bandwidth it's because of loss somewhere. My Imax 2000 is supposed to have a bandwidth below 2:1 of 2MHz and that what it has on the end of 100ft of Ultraflex 10 coax with RF chokes at either end and the Imax ground plane kit. If I go up 10kHz from the low end or down 10kHz from the high end of that 2MHz bandwidth the SWR falls.

I don't know where the loss would be. This thing talks. Had the same performance from my Yaesu with this setup. I was thinking MAYBE the meter is reading the SWR between the amp and the LP filter instead of the antenna. But, if that's the case, I don't care as long as the amp and radio are safe.

Reactions: AmericanEagle575
I don't know where the loss would be. This thing talks. Had the same performance from my Yaesu with this setup. I was thinking MAYBE the meter is reading the SWR between the amp and the LP filter instead of the antenna. But, if that's the case, I don't care as long as the amp and radio are safe.
mine is very wide also.
i tuned my a 99 as close as possible to the 2008. i used antenna switch . the recieve and transmit is waaay better on the 2008.
the a 99 is good for 1 band n part of the above and below bands but the sirio goes much farther. ive made some decent distant contacs on the 2008,switched to the a99 n i wasnt heard. i dont belive i got any loss or id not talk where i am on the 2008 cause the a 99 just wont do it.
as far as the a 99 its ok and if it was slim pickings id buy another a 99,but id rather own another 2008

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.