• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

W4BUG repeater, from Nassau Bahamas

avistar23

May 17, 2005
Nassau Bahamas
Guys im very happy to report that tonight i finally hit a repeater in south Florida

i coudlnt belive it, ive been working on my VHF setup for quite some time, and i finally had success, members on this board directed me to GulphAlpha and i must admit his antenna did the job, i attached a recording before it the repeater of its receive strength over 200 miles away.

VID-20130725-00000 - YouTube

during the conversation i was far to happy to record. ^^ ab v c^^(y):D(y)

Reactions: Goonie

70 watts out of the mobile into this

you can see my other question about an amp in the amp section.

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    872.8 KB · Views: 867
If this is the repeater in FL that you worked,...

more than likely it was one of these:

Gold Coast Amateur Radio Association

Club Repeaters

OUTPUT: 146.61 MHz

INPUT: 146.01 MHz. PL 110.9 Hz.

at I-95 and Atlantic Blvd. in Pompano Beach

REMOTE RX: Briarwood Apts rooftop

at University and Sample in Coral Springs

OUTPUT: 146.82 MHz

INPUT: 146.22 MHz. PL 110.9 Hz.

Boca Raton

OUTPUT: 442.50 MHz

INPUT: 447.50 MHz. PL 151.4 Hz.

at I-95 and Atlantic Blvd. in Pompano Beach

OUTPUT: 442.20 MHz

INPUT: 447.20 MHz. D-STAR SYSTEM

OUTPUT 145.340 MHz

INPUT 144.740 MHz D-STAR SYSTEM

LOCATION Imperial Point Hospital rooftop

You must keep in mind, that dx'ing repeaters is not proper operating practice. Although within the rules, that is not what repeaters are intended for. Who are you going to exchange QSL cards with, the repeater?.
Rich

.... if you spent a long time hunting weak signal VHF and finally had some activity wouldn't you jump on it to? after investing lots of hard time and money?
every single person active at that time on it was more than excited to converse.
i also was sent many QSL cards by operators on that repeater. you must love IRLP then.

I don't want get into a fight here, but you only made contact with one station. Think about it, if you did not go through the repeater, who would you have worked. Next time ask them to qsy to 52 simplex.
Rich

.... if you spent a long time hunting weak signal VHF and finally had some activity wouldn't you jump on it to? after investing lots of hard time and money?
every single person active at that time on it was more than excited to converse.
i also was sent many QSL cards by operators on that repeater. you must love IRLP then.

Regardless if it was "just a repeater" it was still a good contact. That's quite a long haul for FM especially. Reminds me of the time a guy in Eastport Maine made it into our VE1OM repeater at 150 miles. He was using an HT at the time. Nobody criticized him for working thru a repeater.Quite the opposite actually. It`s not so much WHO you talk to but rather the distance you talked. It could have just as easily been a mobile parked on the hilltop he worked into.

Reactions: avistar23

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.