• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

W58 base antenna.

Well we got it up in the air today. Bottom is around 30' from the ground. But I'm having as much trouble tuning this one as the other smaller antennas. I was hoping getting it up above where the others were would help. I have a 30' mast up against the house where I was trying to get the others to work. Still can't get the SWR under 2.5ish. It may be this is just a bad place for an antenna? If I can't get it to tune there, I'll set up a tower towards the back of the property around 100' or more from the house.

W58 problem

pistolero, how did you finally make out with the w58 problem? I had one
arrive today. I was recommended this by locals cb'ers. and some reviews
had it as better quality then the maco v58. ie cleaner machining. One thing
I noted was tuning length differences between the maco v58 and the w58
manuals.

the W58 had the length 248" vs 249" for the maco at 26mhz. and the W58
had 240" for 27mhz vs 248" for the maco at 27mhz. for all other lengths in
the table then lengths were the same for the maco v58 and the w58! ie
232 5/8" for both at 28mhz. It has raised my eyebrow, for when I put this
thing together!

So I wondered how and what you did to resolve your issues with the
w58?

73 dean

w58 tuned

I have the workman up and running since my post. I read all I could on
the maco/workman 5/8s in here. first thing I noticed was the coax so-239
is mounted upside down on the workman PO8P bracket. this puts the socket a cpl inches below the maco instructions. I set instructions aside and assembled
it as to what made sense. put the clamp C01 on from the PO8P side, and slide
that edge up to the 6 1/4 mark on the hoop. The notes, esp by master chief, made it easy to tune it up. I wound up with the clamp edge finally at 7 3/8" measured from the middle of the screw holding the hoops together. the distance from the tip of the radiator to the insulator was 19' 2". to the
top of the ring 19' 5", and to the top of the radials 19' 8". nice 1 to 1 match
center around channel 10. I may shorten a bit to put the center swr on channel 20. Hope this helps others who purchase these. even at 10' mine is working
great.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.