• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

W58 base antenna.

pistolero

Apr 16, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Well I just came across a deal on some cool used radios, (http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-band-cb-radios/154401-score.html )
and I'm having trouble getting a base antenna setup. Tried using the 102" whip and the Predator 10k that came with the radios but can't get the SWR down enough. I don't know if the ground plane is wrong or my Radio Shack coax is no good.
Looking at ordering one of these:
W-58 High Performance Base Antenna-H&Y Electronics
What kind of coax should I get? It shouldn't be more than a 150' run.

I know it's supposed to be easy to make a groundplane for the whip I have, but I'm just tired of messing with this. I'm tired of climbing up and down that steep roof and jerking around with it. I'm a short, fat, old man. I want to put up a tower, dial it in, AND TALK. :headbang:

Those antennas have a habit out here in Oklahoma with strong winds popping the tops out,because they use a sleeve of plastic to slip the top into the base area.im not sure how they do else where.but you could try the maco 5/8s wave or if price isnt a hassel go to the SPT500 also a 5/8s wave.but under 50 feet a half wave or even a star duster will talk with them,over 50 foot the 5/8s come to life and scream.a new starduster m400 are about 65.95 too

Last edited:
since all those radios cover 2 or more bands i'll suggest a gainmaster so you won't need a separate tuner for the exports . if you're not gonna do more than half a kilowatt and your coax run is near or under 100 ft and money is tight some good quality 8x will do . for a longer run , higher power or deeper pockets some 213 or 400 with stranded center and additional foil shielding would be pretty sweet .

Thanks for the info.
Booty, you mean this?
new base antenna by sirio-H&Y Electronics
That'd be over $200 bucks shipped. A little steep for me right now, (unemployed) and I don't know if I'll be interested in HAM. I hardly know anything about cb yet. I understand though, pay now and not several times more later. :cry:
Will the Gainmaster work as well or better on cb only than the W58?

I haven't read the other thread about the 'score', so only going by what you've said here, I would pick a CB antenna and put it up. If you don't have a ham license, listen all you want but don't try transmitting there. You can listen on a CB antenna just fine.
All antennas have to be tuned a little bit, some not if you're lucky. If you are going to make an antenna instead of buying one, then I would suggest learning a little about how to do that building. It really isn't that difficult, it's just different from what you're used to.
Both of the antennas you have are only 'half' of one, they require the 'other half' to work correctly. The vehicle they are mounted on is that 'other half'. So, making a 'groundplane' for either of them is a good idea. There's all kinds of information available to do that.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

Thanks for the info.
The car antennas I tried on the roof (16'-18' off the ground). All work fine on the Jeep Cherokee attached to a mag mount with little or no tuning. With them on the roof I can't get my SWR under 3.
I attempted to make a groundplane from three 8-1/2' wires. No better. Tell me this, would I have a better chance if I went and got a 4' X 8' piece of tin roofing, bent it at the roof angle, and set it under the antenna? That would probably be more surface area than the roof of the Cherokee, and bent down at around 35 to 40 degrees.

Well, I guess what's wrong with me is that I have a Kenwood radio. Does all bands except VHF/UHF. Got that covered with other radios. Also have done the fixed/mobile thingy and don't have unreasonable expectations of what can be done. Oh well, I guess I'm just deprived...
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
I actually used that same antenna for year's and I loved it!!! it transmitted great and received excellent for the $70.00 price it a great antenna for someone on a low budget!!!

I just got off the phone with Palco. The W58 should be here by Tuesday. Can I just hook it up and tune for SWR and go with it? Do I need to get a "tuner"? Build a choke coil?

I just got off the phone with Palco. The W58 should be here by Tuesday. Can I just hook it up and tune for SWR and go with it? Do I need to get a "tuner"? Build a choke coil?

Oh; you will have to assemble it for the proper overall length for the 11m/CB band - as the length is adjustable and must be defined by the end user. That is - if it is an exact copy of the Maco V58 IIRC. Then there is a single coil on it that will have to be adjusted for SWR too.

Have fun with it . . .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated