• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Walkie Talkie Antenna improvement

Used to do a little hilltop with my old eurosonic es200 . had a bnc antenna socket so bought a T bnc adapter and fitted a couple of those longer bnc albreacht antennas are they 21' can't remember.
Had to do some kind of solder connection or remove a centre pin from one T joint end can't remember now but did work ok.

I use 40 channel walkie talkies in the car, on the boat and on the base. My old Cherokee AH100 has SSB. I've used both the Cobra HATA and the Abree Tactical Antenna mentioned above, but the best results come when I stick a 4' Radio Shack center loaded walkie talkie antenna on it. I have stood on a sandbar down here in the Keys and talked skip all over the country. I once set up a dipole on the boat and talked to a guy on the big island in Hawaii.

I've got a bunch of other 40 channel walkie talkies including some TRC 226s, TRC 216s and TRC 234s. Years ago, I had a Turner +3 desk mic wired with a plug so that I can use it on the 226s and the 234s. The Turner has to be turned way down, but the combination sounds fantastic. Folks on the receiving end don't believe me when I tell then what I am running.

Reactions: Easy rider
I use 40 channel walkie talkies in the car, on the boat and on the base. My old Cherokee AH100 has SSB. I've used both the Cobra HATA and the Abree Tactical Antenna mentioned above, but the best results come when I stick a 4' Radio Shack center loaded walkie talkie antenna on it. I have stood on a sandbar down here in the Keys and talked skip all over the country. I once set up a dipole on the boat and talked to a guy on the big island in Hawaii

I have that Cherokee AH100 bookmarked on my computer and my eye out for one of those to surface for sale. I'll bet you don't run across them to often on the market and if you do they probably command a pretty penny. Do you have any idea what years those were made and what type antenna connection do they have ?

The Cherokee AH100 has a BNC antenna connector. I don't know what years they were made, but I do recall reading that the FCC pulled the ticket on them because they were easily modified to cover 10 frequency ranges instead of just the one range for CB.

I forgot to mention that those TRC 226s have about the best noise suppression and adjacent channel rejection that I have ever seen/heard on a CB walkie-talkie.

Last edited:
Reactions: whiteastro
I have two of these antennas and they are an improvement and almost as rigid as the old military PRC Radio antennas.
They say there are no stupid questions; we'll see in a minute after I ask mine. When I was driving OTR two decades back, I had (still have) a Uniden PC66XL that has an adjusted output of 44 watts. Had a Wilson that was tuned beautifully and a Road King mic. Between that, being naturally obsetvant, and running a Bear scanner I msde good money for years with no hassles from the law. Just dug it all out of the basement and would love to run it again for kicks but in my retirement I'm driving a Hyundai. LOTS of low branches hereabouts, and am wondering if I could run one of these antennas and avoid the much longer ones I used on my truck? What I'm looking to do is have just enough going on with mh radio to pick up on traffic conditions on the freeways when I'm heading downtoen to the VA.

They say there are no stupid questions; we'll see in a minute after I ask mine. When I was driving OTR two decades back, I had (still have) a Uniden PC66XL that has an adjusted output of 44 watts. Had a Wilson that was tuned beautifully and a Road King mic. Between that, being naturally obsetvant, and running a Bear scanner I msde good money for years with no hassles from the law. Just dug it all out of the basement and would love to run it again for kicks but in my retirement I'm driving a Hyundai. LOTS of low branches hereabouts, and am wondering if I could run one of these antennas and avoid the much longer ones I used on my truck? What I'm looking to do is have just enough going on with mh radio to pick up on traffic conditions on the freeways when I'm heading downtoen to the VA.
44 watts?

Yeah. There was a radio shop just east of Chicago along the Lake. A guy there tinkered with it for me.
They modified ("tinkered" with) a standard 4 watt CB radio to produce 44 watts?
What model Wilson antenna were you using?
There must be some extremely low branches in your area to get close to the roof of a Hyundai. Maybe the Mini-Will mag-mount antenna will suffice.

They modified ("tinkered" with) a standard 4 watt CB radio to produce 44 watts?
What model Wilson antenna were you using?
There must be some extremely low branches in your area to get close to the roof of a Hyundai. Maybe the Mini-Will mag-mount antenna will suffice.
Cannot remember which Wilson. Ran two, one on each side of the truck but left one as a dummy after realizing tuning two was a much more difficult prospect than it first seemed. Much of the overgrowth in my area is along the narrow road the neighbors and I use to get up to the house. I'm thinking a long antenna on top of the car would in fact be a problem. This past week is the first time in twenty years I've given a thought to my CB, and I'm certainly no expert, then or now. No doubt I can learn from this site. Thinking about it more, I guess I'm looking for something unobtrusive as well . Where I live in St. Louis County MO has always been a good and peaceful area, nothing like the City of St. Louis. Of late, however, we are seeing an influx of those from the City doing organiz4d car prowls, mostly at night but not always. Most of us here leave nothing of value unattended in our cars but that hasn't slowed down those who now come around in teams of three and four teenagers, led by an adult. I would much rather not have some steel whip or Firestick announcing a car with possibilities. Guess I was wrong but I took that antenna to be for 26,28 mghz use. Wondered if something like that could easily fit inside the car.

Cannot remember which Wilson. Ran two, one on each side of the truck but left one as a dummy after realizing tuning two was a much more difficult prospect than it first seemed. Much of the overgrowth in my area is along the narrow road the neighbors and I use to get up to the house. I'm thinking a long antenna on top of the car would in fact be a problem. This past week is the first time in twenty years I've given a thought to my CB, and I'm certainly no expert, then or now. No doubt I can learn from this site. Thinking about it more, I guess I'm looking for something unobtrusive as well . Where I live in St. Louis County MO has always been a good and peaceful area, nothing like the City of St. Louis. Of late, however, we are seeing an influx of those from the City doing organiz4d car prowls, mostly at night but not always. Most of us here leave nothing of value unattended in our cars but that hasn't slowed down those who now come around in teams of three and four teenagers, led by an adult. I would much rather not have some steel whip or Firestick announcing a car with possibilities. Guess I was wrong but I took that antenna to be for 26,28 mghz use. Wondered if something like that could easily fit inside the car.
And thank you, Recon, for your help!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated