• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Randy fcc

Just got my Randy today, sounds great. Not all pinched up like the walkie talkies we had when I was a kid. Nice full sound, on TX and RX. Talked to a local from my back yard with the antenna it came with. He is about 1/8 of a mile away, said I was putting an s9 on him. I have it in the shack making a guest appearance now. Dead keys 2.5w and swings to about 10w while talking on high power. The low power is 0.5w dead key and about 4w peak. This should match up good with a 203. Now I have to get the external mic so I can figure out how to hook up a D104m6b to it. I am thinking about getting a second one now.

Just got my Randy today, sounds great. Not all pinched up like the walkie talkies we had when I was a kid. Nice full sound, on TX and RX. Talked to a local from my back yard with the antenna it came with. He is about 1/8 of a mile away, said I was putting an s9 on him. I have it in the shack making a guest appearance now. Dead keys 2.5w and swings to about 10w while talking on high power. The low power is 0.5w dead key and about 4w peak. This should match up good with a 203. Now I have to get the external mic so I can figure out how to hook up a D104m6b to it. I am thinking about getting a second one now.

Next BBQ you’ll be using it as talkback monitor while keying the wireless mic back to the housebound Big Iron.

And then reverse the one used.

How good are you at mimicry?

Start an argument and alternate voices between radios.

Last edited:
Tried it with a 9 foot whip on the beach umbrella. Made a coil of coax about 9 feet down but the swr was still over 2:1 so I hooked up a match box and dialed it in. I set the dead key on high to 4 watts and turned up the am peak to about 16 watts in the service menu like the first video shows. Got a radio check from a truck headed north. He was about 20 minutes out of town and we were still talking, and he said that I was giving him an s9 at that point. This is going to be a lot of fun on the beach for sure.

IMG_20210410_154327215.jpg

(Sigh) Okay . . now I want one.

Actually, I want the FM-capable Euro version. A pair.

1). Can plug it into an installed mobile system
2). Use an external VOX microphone.
3). Use an external speaker.
4). Assume I can run it thru a KL-203
5). Choice of antennas.

With features so well-described in the cbradiomagazine review, who could resist?

About the same price as a U-980 ($140) before accessories.

Would be nice to be able to lock-out AM-19 while scanning the rest as second radio in use while mobile. Dedicated scanner, and then walk-about.

Shade, we’re looking to ya to get an adaptor to run the wireless Uniden mic thru a big Galaxy with the voice-changer turned on. All bets are off that day, ha!

Last edited:
Another cool little handheld from president. Am only but nice to see the president bunch striving to keep up with new gear.

https://president-electronics.us/CB-Radios/AM-transceivers/RANDY-FCC
It looks interesting and if I did not own two Midland 75-822 Portables, I would try the Randy. The Midland package includes the 12v mobile harness. The the extra channels have been installed and the dead-key increased to 6 watts. It has a decent transmit and receive on the highway with the "Little Will" mag base antenna, but the Stryker SR-A10 mag base antenna has better performance.

Just update on battery life on these. I turned it on at 9AM yesterday and left it on all day, then all night and it finally died at 2pm today.

RX only, squelch up so no static, only one channel (no scan).

So roughly 28 hours like that. Would probably be a lot less if receiving stations broke squelch during that time and the speaker was active with sound but airwaves were dead for the test.

Next test if I can find some time - 20 second transmit every 5 minutes on high power. Also - I got into the service menu...shhh...I'll post info in my next video.

Taking a family trip next week with stops at Fort Campbell KY, Petersburg KY, Cincinnati Ohio, Williamstown KY then back home so it'll consist of a few miles.

That said....

I just ordered one of these little radios along with the new Virginia antenna to run in the family wagon. A perfect opportunity to justify getting one and for testing purposes haha...

While the new Virginia wouldn't be my first choice, I only did so because I don't think my wife will go for the Stryker sra10 mag mount on the family cruiser.

Hopefully I can report back on both products in due time.
I'll be waiting for the test results of the Virginia because I have one arriving tomorrow and I will test it out with the Midland 75-822 in my Honda Pilot. The Stryker SR-A10 works great in and around town and on the open road but it's too conspicuous on the roof of the Pilot. The Little Wil works OK and can be stored inside the vehicle easier than the Stryker, but the Virginia may blend-in with the roofline of the Pilot, but no doubt I will be sacrificing transmit and receive.

Reactions: Slowmover
Taking a family trip next week with stops at Fort Campbell KY, Petersburg KY, Cincinnati Ohio, Williamstown KY then back home so it'll consist of a few miles.

That said....

I just ordered one of these little radios along with the new Virginia antenna to run in the family wagon. A perfect opportunity to justify getting one and for testing purposes haha...

While the new Virginia wouldn't be my first choice, I only did so because I don't think my wife will go for the Stryker sra10 mag mount on the family cruiser.

Hopefully I can report back on both products in due time.
12 May 2021 Performance Report of President Virginia Mag Base Mobile Antenna.
The President Virginia antenna arrived today and I installed it on the roof of my Honda Pilot and attached it to my Midland 75-822 Hand Held, using the 12v adapter. For a 18" antenna, I am surprised and impressed with the performance.
Driving around in rural areas (no straight-line roads) at 45 - 60 MPH, I was communicating with a friend in his pick-up truck stationary at his home with a barefoot Uniden Pro 520XL and a Stryker SR-A10 Mag Mount antenna. As the crow flies, we estimated the maximum distance to be six to eight miles. Not to shabby!
There was no sense in swapping out the antenna to compare with the Little Wil or the SR-A10 because I decided the Virginia will be the antenna to use when I get on the NY Thruway again.
Personally, the $64.00 (including NY Sales Tax) was worth it for me.

Thx, Recon.

I use my Garmin GPS to determine air miles. I’ve underestimated more often than over.

FWIW, the Thruway stays pretty quiet once past Albany headed towards Buffalo. If we use Albany as our departure point, the section S to NYC usually doesn’t have much except bulk haulers trying to get one more load (concerned about scale house checking their logs).

Traffic volume picks up noticeably once near the Tappan Zee Bridge.

I’m saying, from pre-dawn till 1500 that there should be some AM-19 chatter the nearer one is to IH-287.

And, use the mile marker + travel direction to ask and reply to radio checks. A big truck driver (me) would be saying. I just put this radio in here (to get others to chime in with their mile marker in reply). “How’m I gettin’ out NB at the 126-mile stick?

The more you tell em how good their radio sounds, the more will key up to ask about theirs.

Hey, Bubba, I’m NB coming onto the 128 marker and you’re loud & proud”. An inline SWR/RF meter helps. “Boy, ya puttin’ six-pounds on me” (etc). It’s rare enough to get conscientious air checks such that most of us will join in. (Some are just too shy to ever ask).

Some jarhead jargon will crack em up, too. A Deep Bubba-Fried Driver with some new or not-previously used terms is one of the best guys on the road. Wit, makes a long day shorter.

Just a smidge.

I was winding my way east one day on 76 in PA and had one guy purposefully confuse the locals about how he couldn’t stand Snapple. Greasy. White trash etc. Took awhile to get him to admit to confusing it with, scrapple.

He hadn’t. But he HAD given his rant some thought beforehand. He was hookin’ fish right & left with his “genuine” bewilderment and disgust.

Last edited:
The Virginia / New York is a neat little antenna, great match for the President Randy FCC for a low profile setup. Distance is always going to be compromise with a small antenna like that but it works pretty well all things considered. If I was flying someplace and then renting a car that would be a great combo.

The Virginia / New York is a neat little antenna, great match for the President Randy FCC for a low profile setup. Distance is always going to be compromise with a small antenna like that but it works pretty well all things considered. If I was flying someplace and then renting a car that would be a great combo.

It’s looking like the ideal fly’n drive package.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated