• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wannabe Ham operator

FJR Predator

Jun 24, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Hello everybody. I'm rather new to this forum. I use to be involved in Cb over 30 years ago. I got tired of all the junk on the air and sold my equipment and moved on to other things. I've been working on a project involving installing a cb radio amongst other things on my motorcycle and it cause me to spark new interest in amatuer radio. This time around I figured I'll just go ahead and become a liscensed HAM operator.

I know very little of HAM and forgot most my dealing with CB. At 50 I hope I'm not too old to learn. To get my feet wet I've been researching modern day equipment and though it best to start off with a Ranger 2980 or 2995 export. Without getting into various legalities I feel that I could tune it to 11meters and at the same time start to listen and check out what goes on in 10 and 12 meter bands.

I'm willing to invest significantly into starting off with some decent equipment in the areas of antennas and amp that I would be able to continue to use later down the road as a ham operator.

I've noticed big distinction on the cost of decent Cb equipment compared to Ham. I could see myself purchasing a 4 to 6 element Jogunn for example along with a RCI 2995 and 6 pill amp.

All knowing that their use would be responsible and a learning experience. It was suggested to me to just start with a HF transceiver but then I'd only be able to listen until I'm lisensed.

I'm open to any suggestions or insight anyone could offer in terms of equipment and or how to go about becomming a certified HAM operator.

If you bought a HF transceiver and had it(dare I say)SSSHHHHHHHH,,,,,Converted to be able to use on 11 meters, you would be able to use it on 11 meters only. Any radio you use will be an Illegal radio because it is either a export radio or 10 meter radio and converted to 11 meters. So it really doesn't matter what you use. Just because it started out as a HF radio, export radio or a converted 40 channel CB, they are all Illegal. You don't need a lisence to talk on a HF radio, as long as you stay in the 11 meter range. I personally would start with a HF Rig myself.

A couple of things to think about...

1) ham radio is not for everyone that is interested in CB radio, and visa-versa. So, if you want to start back up in CB, a 2950-type radio (while illegal to use on CB, blah, blah, blah...) is a good way to go without spending $$$$$ on an amateur radio, which you may not ever get licensed for. Definitely listen to ham radio and see if it interests you, before you spend a lot of time, money or effort in getting a license.

2) Skip, or DX, is really dependent upon the band conditions, and having a huge beam and 1kw + of power will not make the ionosphere come alive. Antennas are the most important component in your radio system, so definitely make the investment there above all else. Most contacts can be made with 100 watts or less, of transmitter power. We are beginning to climb the upward swing of the solar cycle, so DX will only get better in the next few years.

3) You mentioned the multi element beam antenna. The Jo Gunn, or similar type of antenna, will probably only work on CB.
Maybe it will tune on 10 meters, but beams are usually fairly narrow-banded, so do you want to drop a lot of money on an antenna for just one band? There are multi-band HF antennas which will work on 10-15-20 meters, etc. for probably what you will pay for the Jo Gunn. Maybe a simple vertical antenna, like an Imax 2000 or Maco V-5/8 will get you back on the air, and see if want to invest solely in CB, or expand into amateur radio.

4) I personally don't think ham radios are very good for the average CB operator. Too much radio for a small spectrum of the band ( like having a Porsche and only being able to go 15 mph in it). They usually don't have the big modulation that many CB ops look for, when compared to CB or "export" radios.
And, they usually don't sound very good on AM, if that is a mode you will use.

Check out some ham radio sites, some are in the Phila. area...
I am in between Philly & Reading Pa, so if you have other questions, I would be glad to try to help you out.

www.arrl.org/

www.hello-radio.org/

www.gofrc.org/

www.marc-radio.org/joomla/index.php

www.phil-mont.org/

packratvhf.com/

www.harcnet.org/

The only thing I'd add to what '8412' said is that ham radio has changed, it ain't like what you might remember it being. If you can't get a license, you just ain't trying very hard, no iff's, and's or but's, period. (Other than the fact that there are 'butts' everywhere, sort of.) A ham license costs about $1.50 per year. They last for 10 years at a 'whack' unless you do something really dumb and get caught at it. You can renew all of them.
Do it! If you don't like it, wait ten years and don't renew it. Cheap at twice the cost.
- 'Doc

If you bought a HF transceiver and had it(dare I say)SSSHHHHHHHH,,,,,Converted to be able to use on 11 meters, you would be able to use it on 11 meters only. Any radio you use will be an Illegal radio because it is either a export radio or 10 meter radio and converted to 11 meters. So it really doesn't matter what you use. Just because it started out as a HF radio, export radio or a converted 40 channel CB, they are all Illegal.

I read this three times to make sure I read it properly. This is 100% incorrect. You can use whatever radio you want on amatuer frequencies if you possess an amatuer license the radio also stays within the emissions requirements. I recently joined Navy MARS, which REQUIRES you to modify your radio for out of band transmission. That means the HF rig also works on 11m now. According to that reasoning, I wouldn't be able to use it on ham freq's any more. Nothing could be further from the truth. If you want, you can modify any CB, changing the crystals and pass band filters to be a 10 meter radio and use it there once you have the license. Ham radio is about experimenting and having fun, not boxing you into a corner.

if it were me id get a 2950 or similar and talk on 11m
and listen o 10/12 see if it interests ya.or ya could
just start off with just a 40 channel cb like a uniden pc78
as posted aleady a imax2000 or maco 5/8 are both imho
very good antennnas for cb.as for mobile look at the
wilson 1000/5000 magnet mount/roof mount.or preadator10k
of course this is just to get ya on air and talking again
cause if your really serious about getting a ham licence
then i wouldnt spend much money into cb gear

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.