• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Want to set up a CB base with limited funds

If your goal is to talk skip on a budget, the best advice you've received so far is not to buy any antenna and make your own dipole. I would suggest you put it much higher than 10 feet because it will work best for most DX if it's around 36 feet, horizontal, and facing broadside to the direction you want to work. If power is limited, spend the extra money on a radio with SSB capabilities and you'll see results.

Shockwave, Thanks for the advice; I already have a Cobra 148 (China) recently bought from Copper Electronics online. I paid $20 extra for a "align and tune" but when I received the radio it appeared that the box had never been opened since leaving the factory. Not really looking for "extra xmit power so, I guess I am looking for a cheap but good power regulator and a good antenna. Not too good at soldering (can't see well) so and good ready made antenna that's not too difficult to put up.

Shockwave, Thanks for the advice; I already have a Cobra 148 (China) recently bought from Copper Electronics online. I paid $20 extra for a "align and tune" but when I received the radio it appeared that the box had never been opened since leaving the factory. Not really looking for "extra xmit power so, I guess I am looking for a cheap but good power regulator and a good antenna. Not too good at soldering (can't see well) so and good ready made antenna that's not too difficult to put up.

Then your best bet would be to buy a pre built 11 meter dipole off eBay. Expect to spend around $30-35 give or take $10. Or look for a base station vertical antenna like an Antron A99 or an Imax 2000. Expect to spend $70-$120 for either vertical, and maybe a little more than half of that if used. For a power supply, a simple Astron RS-7A will do you good, or you can utilize your car battery, just make sure you don't hook up the radio backwards.

Thanks Turbo T...

Then your best bet would be to buy a pre built 11 meter dipole off eBay. Expect to spend around $30-35 give or take $10. Or look for a base station vertical antenna like an Antron A99 or an Imax 2000. Expect to spend $70-$120 for either vertical, and maybe a little more than half of that if used. For a power supply, a simple Astron RS-7A will do you good, or you can utilize your car battery, just make sure you don't hook up the radio backwards.

Being unfamiliar I am learning a lot from this forum; Thank You all that have replied! Now, another question if you don't mind; Are there different "grades" of RG8X and if so who carries the "good stuff"?

There are many ways to go.

1) Used Uniden Madison/Washington radio tuned with xtra channels. $100-150

2) Antron 99 and coax $125-150 (used even cheaper yet)

3) Small 2 pill amplifier $100

4) Used 35 amp power supply $50.00

It really comes down to what you want and what you can find local used in your area. The antenna and how high up you can get it is most important. A 300 dollar radio on a cheap antenna 10 feet off the ground will loose to a 75 dollar radio on a good antenna 50 feet off the ground. (as an example)

There are many ways to go.

1) Used Uniden Madison/Washington radio tuned with xtra channels. $100-150

2) Antron 99 and coax $125-150 (used even cheaper yet)

3) Small 2 pill amplifier $100

4) Used 35 amp power supply $50.00

It really comes down to what you want and what you can find local used in your area. The antenna and how high up you can get it is most important. A 300 dollar radio on a cheap antenna 10 feet off the ground will loose to a 75 dollar radio on a good antenna 50 feet off the ground. (as an example)
Any suggestions on how to find someone to "help" (help=do most of the work) me install the antenna??? Found a imax 2000 NIB with the gpk ground plane and 50ft of 213 for $125... Is that a good price? Thanks again for everyone's help!!! You guys are Great!!!

Any suggestions on how to find someone to "help" (help=do most of the work) me install the antenna??? Found a imax 2000 NIB with the gpk ground plane and 50ft of 213 for $125... Is that a good price? Thanks again for everyone's help!!! You guys are Great!!!

If you are currently on the air then channel 20 is usually pretty active with local traffic (Rocky Mount area) and some pretty big radios, by the sound of them. I don't know if there are any local clubs for cb anymore, as there used to be 10 or so years ago, but if you can talk to one of those guys maybe they can help you.

Post anything that you find out as I am thinking of getting back into it again myself and I am in Nashville.

If you are currently on the air then channel 20 is usually pretty active with local traffic (Rocky Mount area) and some pretty big radios, by the sound of them. I don't know if there are any local clubs for cb anymore, as there used to be 10 or so years ago, but if you can talk to one of those guys maybe they can help you.

Post anything that you find out as I am thinking of getting back into it again myself and I am in Nashville.

Well Howdy Neighbor! I'm on the South West corner of Rocky Mount (3 or 4 miles from I95... I moved there from South Central Pennsylvania (where I'm visiting for the holidays right now) this past summer after I retired. I'll try am ch 20 when I get back if the World doesn't end today! Can't see all that well and hearing is bad from Vietnam but the hobby interests me. I have heard bleed over onto 19 in the area. Really having trouble understanding some of the locals. Well, thanks for the suggestions and I'll give you a shout when I get back (ch 38 lsb)!

Hello Everybody! I am retired on a fixed income and would like to set up a CB base station from scratch but have limited funds... $500. So, I'm asking for recommendations for the most bang for my bucks and yes, I would like to skip if possible. Thanks in advance for your help!!! rockymount622

A *Turner +3 desk mic on your 148, an Imax up through the middle of a Maco 3 element horizontal beam on a guyed(use insulators!) TV push-up mast, a Texas Star 250/350, 213 coax, a decent TV antenna rotor and an Astron35 power supply would make a fantastic DXing base for around that much ca$h.

And like Shockwave said, 36' at the boom of the beam would be XLNT.

*If you find the +3 is too bass heavy on AM, you can add a .05ufd capacitor in series with the audio lead via a toggle switch on the mic, so you can select less bass on AM and more bass on SSB.
If you already have a D104 then you're set! (y)

Thanks! And, another questions if you please...

Thanks for all the great suggestions! One other question I have is "What is the difference between a ceramic and digital or analog microphone?" Thanks for everyone's help and advice!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.