• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Want to set up a CB base with limited funds

rockymount622

Oct 5, 2012
Rocky Mount, N. C.
Hello Everybody! I am retired on a fixed income and would like to set up a CB base station from scratch but have limited funds... $500. So, I'm asking for recommendations for the most bang for my bucks and yes, I would like to skip if possible. Thanks in advance for your help!!! rockymount622

I made my station for a little less than that amount.

I chose the Galaxy DX 979 (new) @$150 or less, it was the most reasonably priced radio with the functions that I wanted. I could have bought used, but my technical skills, to fix what I might have had to fix are marginal. And repairs of course, can be pricey.

I made my antenna using a 102" stainless steal whip I had from my Jeep, and bought some RG8x coax to run to it. @$50 new

"Clean" Power supply 8.5amp 12v from electronics supplier for @$35

18'-0" of pipe, fittings, etc. @$50

Total $285 Not bad.

With the extra $215 I would possibly upgrade to the Uniden 980ssb radio (scan feature is really nice), with a 5/8 wave groundplane like Antron 99 antenna.

Look around you might find a nice used base antenna for little or nothing. There are plenty of them left over from the cb craze years.

If you are from my neck of the woods here is a complete base set up....hi quality set up for a cheap shit price well under your budget.....the radio alone would sell for more than that alone on eebay.

If you are not from my area, then search craigslist in your area.

galaxy ssb ham / cb with mike, coax, mike

Reactions: 1 person
The most bang for your buck...

1. make your own dipole antenna....all you need are two 9 ft pieces of 14 gauge wire (speaker wire works good) and solder the wires to a $3 SO-239 from Radioshack.

2. Then hang the dipole up 10 feet or so high, connect some 50 ohm coax to the dipole,

3. Find a used radio on Craigslist. Or find a ham club and ask around if anyone has a radio they're getting rid of. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've had working CB radios handed to me for free.

If your goal is to talk skip on a budget, the best advice you've received so far is not to buy any antenna and make your own dipole. I would suggest you put it much higher than 10 feet because it will work best for most DX if it's around 36 feet, horizontal, and facing broadside to the direction you want to work. If power is limited, spend the extra money on a radio with SSB capabilities and you'll see results.

I pieced together my own base at one point...a used $50 radio (Uniden Grant), a used 15A power supply for $20, a home-made 102" Dipole (less than $60 for all the parts), and about $75 in coax...

With that simple antenna mounted horizontal, I could talk skip with my battery-powered handheld RadioShack CB.

Reactions: 2 people
rockymount

Rockymount,N.C. That's on hwy 64 between Raleigh and the Outerbanks. You ought to have comercial truck traffic aplenty. You're closer to Viginia. :pop:

I pieced together my own base at one point...a used $50 radio (Uniden Grant), a used 15A power supply for $20, a home-made 102" Dipole (less than $60 for all the parts), and about $75 in coax...

With that simple antenna mounted horizontal, I could talk skip with my battery-powered handheld RadioShack CB.

A simple dipole can do wonders. I made a vertical dipole once and it worked as well as an A 99!! I hung it in a pine tree and fed it with RG8x..

As I understand the point of this thread, like myself, I budgeted $500 to find the best rig I could for the money, not just the least expensive.

To discover what is the best requires also to know what is practical.

If I still lived on my 5 acres in Ohio I would have gone with a much different setup than I have now. But because I now live in one of those H.O.A. communities here in Arizona where the houses are within spitting distance of eachother, requiring me to be as discreet as possible. When before the nearest house was over 100 yards away.

I have built dipoles also, but for my particular situation, the quarter wave groundplane seems to work for me much better.

If you have the space or the lack of neighborhood restrictions to take advantage of, I would certainly take that into consideration.

$500 can go a long way in this hobby if you do it right. And remember that the antenna does most of the work.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.