• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wanted: Clear pic of a D104 amp board

ExitThirteen

Grumpy and Cranky
Apr 18, 2008
Cornpatch of Iowa
Hi folks, I'm looking for a close up pic of the component side of the amplifier board on a D104. If anyone might be able to pull the base off their mic and flip the board upside down and take a pic, I'd be most grateful. Thank you!

~Cheers~

Either one, Robb. Preferably TUG8, but as long as the original board is there, I'm good! Thanks!! :)

Edit: TUG8 or TUG9 only. Thought I'd better clarify. TUP9 is a different board.

~Cheers~

Hmm, that is different than mine! That doesn't help! Looks like I'll have to go by my crude schematic I have drawn up. LOL

I do appreciate you taking the pic tho!

~Cheers~

That board looks like it was a factory replacement board. Mine has metal tabs that are soldered to the little PCB.

Do you have another TUG8 stand D104 that you could snap a pic of?

~Cheers~

While you have it apart, you should replace the electrolytic capacitor on th e board. The D104 is old enough to have those caps dry up and it may make the mic sound tinny. People will blame it on the mic element, but might just be that cap goin bad.

While you have it apart, you should replace the electrolytic capacitor on th e board. The D104 is old enough to have those caps dry up and it may make the mic sound tinny. People will blame it on the mic element, but might just be that cap goin bad.
There are two ceramic coupling caps in that circuit - one is a .01uf and the other a .1uf - that can be changed out with .22uf/ea to obtain a wider, more even freq response.

Last edited:

I did do that, and that's a good call! This particular D104 was made in the early 1970's, so I did replace all the caps in it. I got it all back together and it sounds real nice on the air!

Thanks for the info, guys. :)

~Cheers~

Exit13,

im pretty sure you are already aware of this, but re-melting the wax on the element so the foil makes better contact with the actual resonator can make a big difference in the sound.

I do this on all D104's that i come across.
LC

Actually, the reason I want a pic of the amp board was because I had modified it, and I had removed most of the parts. I wanted a pic so I could re-install all the original parts again (minus replacing the old caps with new ones). The mic element is original and sounds great!

Yeah, I could've traced everything out on the schematic and gotten everything re-populated again... but I totally admit that I was lazy. After having my head in radios for 8 hours at the time, I wanted a quick 'n' easy fix. :p

~Cheers~

Reactions: 222DBFL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.