• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wanted: Cobra 148gtl rf gain/swr cal control

groundwire

Jul 19, 2014
does anyone have a cobra 148gtl rf gain/swr cal potentiometer they want to sell? it is a 1ka/5kb potentiometer. I need three of them but i will take what i can get. thanks guys

I used to remove and repair faceplate potentiometers, singles and dual pots, even switched (Power or other function) ones.
I used to take notes as to which wire goes to which terminal, (before phone cameras), desolder them from circuit.
They have mounting "ears" that need to be carefully bent straight to remove the cover, exposing the wafer board and wiper assembly underneath.
I removed the wafer board, cleaned with a solvent to remove any oils or oxidation, rebent the wiper slightly, so it had better contact, reassembled it.
Good as, or better than new.
Sometimes the switch springs get unsprung, I make sure to put it back to correct, too. Emery board or some mild abrasive to clean the brass contacts.

I also pulled and cleaned mic PTT switches, too, the sliders need the inner contacts cleaned with Emery board, or a small file. The brass terminals sometimes need to be filed on both inner and outer surfaces, to remove oxidation, or the wear lines in the terminals. This includes Road King or Astatic slide switches, which use a circular spring loaded slider terminal to make/break contact.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I would call Kens electronics. He often has things in stock that aren't on his website.

i contacted him and he does have a few for $23 ea plus $11 shipping. hahaha, uhh no thanks. thats insane. thanks for the heads up though, appreciate it.

i contacted him and he does have a few for $23 ea plus $11 shipping. hahaha, uhh no thanks. thats insane. thanks for the heads up though, appreciate it.
The price of parts are thru the roof everywhere and on top of that suppliers are becoming fewer and fewer. Id suck it up, pay the price and get what i need to get radios back together.
I've personally known Ken since the 1980's, i lived just a mile from his shop by the Kalamazoo Fairgrounds and while his price isn't as low as the big box places they aren't out of line either. Ken is a great source and a one man small business. I believe he has one other person who helps him and his wife if she's still alive.
If I were to want to see anyone make a small profit from me it would be Ken.

I would call Kens electronics. He often has things in stock that aren't on his website.

He also has items no one else has. When i first went to his shop back in 89 it looked like a hoarder house but that man knew everything he had and exactly where to find it. Hes definitely OCD.

The price of parts are thru the roof everywhere and on top of that suppliers are becoming fewer and fewer. Id suck it up, pay the price and get what i need to get radios back together.
I've personally known Ken since the 1980's, i lived just a mile from his shop by the Kalamazoo Fairgrounds and while his price isn't as low as the big box places they aren't out of line either. Ken is a great source and a one man small business. I believe he has one other person who helps him and his wife if she's still alive.
If I were to want to see anyone make a small profit from me it would be Ken.
nah, pass. im not gonna spend $35 for a standard 1k/5k pot, thats ridiculous. some people may thats fine. me? nope

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.