• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

weird night for cb contacts

RustDemon

Aug 21, 2011
I was just dubbing around and headed out to the shop to fiddle with a few things, and clicked on the cb just to listen. channel 19 was the usual trucker chatter from the highway nearby, so I decided to scroll through the channels heading downward I crossed channel 9 (which is always dead) there was a full blown conversation going on there, I thought it was reserved for emergency contact. it was all in spanish so I couldn't understand much but it didn't sound like any emergency to me, I moved on channel six I hear a really loud poorly modulated guy arguing with some one out of my range. Hearing one side of the argument was kind of amusing but unfullfilling when the argument is based mostly around bad insults and worse threats, moved down to channel 5, I could hear the other guy arguing back. this doesnt make any sense to me. down on 4 I could barely hear them both, with lots of intereferance and splattery sound everytime either one keyed up. the conversation made more sense, for a grand total of a senseless argument with an idiot on both sides. I keyed up and told them they were bleeding across 3 channels, then moved on.

down on channel one there was a great conversation going on... again all in spanish.

down again (or way up) to channel 40 not much happening, some one who was on the very edge of my range and I couldn't make out what they were saying. (I definitely need a better speaker)

scrolling down some more, presto! Someone looking for a radio check on 35 (weird place to go for a check) but we chatted for a few I got his 20 and gave him mine then signed off. Found out that's my furthest contact yet when I mapped it, 18 miles, clear as day.

that sums up about the weirdest cb stroll through the channels yet.

It will get better or more weird per say, Solar cycle 24 will peak in 2013 they predict.

Get you an SSB radio with more frequencies, you will be able to hear Europe and Australia, and when propagation is there you can talk to them also.

This is all SSB, AM may be able to make it I dunno on that mode.

Last edited:
I found it more satisfying to learn to argue with all the morons on the radio which boosts my IQ and my ego.
Yeah, you're lucky to still have morons on the CB. Up here, all the morons and miscreants got their ham tickets and are now infesting 2M. Alternatively, the CB band in Ottawa is clean, friendly, and moron-free. Thus, lately, I'm spending more time on CB.

Yeah, you're lucky to still have morons on the CB. Up here, all the morons and miscreants got their ham tickets and are now infesting 2M. Alternatively, the CB band in Ottawa is clean, friendly, and moron-free. Thus, lately, I'm spending more time on CB.

Sounds a bit like Glasgow, 2M is now the new ch19.

From what I've gathered, channel 9 is the emergency channel in the U.S. but not in Mexico where you probably were getting skip from.

From what I've gathered, channel 9 is the emergency channel in the U.S. but not in Mexico where you probably were getting skip from.

I don't know if that's possible at the range I am at from mexico. I have a hard time imagining 2300+ miles of skip getting picked up on my antenna that's only 9 feet off the ground, and hearing them crystal clear like they are 6 blocks away. you guys would have to tell me if its even possible. I don't have enough experience for that one.

27 mhz can propagate over long distances well above your normal LOS. Everyone is familiar with the solar max phenomenom during the day where the ionosphere F region supports long range communications.

There is also sporadic E layers with propagations from 1-2 thousand km which is more likely to happen at mid lattides during the summer day time.

At night long distance sky wave can occur when the D region disappears.

This time of year I observe alot of skip from southern north america as well as from northern south america.

Hope this helps out. Attached is my reference material.
Introduction to HF Radio Propagation

P.S.

In fact we have a forum member that comes in from Medellin, Columbia (Northern South America) all the time. I personally have not been able to get back to him as i usually pick him up when in my mobile. I try but no luck yet.

Last edited:
I have been making pretty steady contacts with Australia on 38LSB lately. But like the others, the Spanish traffic far outweighs the few DX contacts I have been making.

I don't know if that's possible at the range I am at from mexico. I have a hard time imagining 2300+ miles of skip getting picked up on my antenna that's only 9 feet off the ground, and hearing them crystal clear like they are 6 blocks away. you guys would have to tell me if its even possible. I don't have enough experience for that one.

I'm getting it like mad. upper and lower in the 30s and 40s as well as Jamaica, Barbados and Costa Rico. Heard what sounded like German the other day too in the 50s i think it was

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.