• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Went to help out with two tower removals...

The DB

Aug 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I went to the house of a former ham to help take down some towers his wife was letting us have. Anything we didn't want would be scrapped...

The first tower we removed is a 40 foot fold over and crank up tower. That is going to Jim, the head of the antennas team.

1.jpg

And the poll it was attached to...

1b.jpg

We also took down a Rohn 25g self standing light weight tower that has the tilt over base bolted to the concrete below it.

2.jpg

Now that is all we came for, and all we knew about... Then we were shown a few things and were told to take what we wanted...

3.jpg

That is a Rohn 48 foot BX series tower, and despite being used, and having been laying in that spot for at least a year, has almost no rust. Guess what, this tower is now spoken for as well... I think my back yard will make a nice new home for it... :D

We also got this 25 foot freestanding tower of unknown make...

4.jpg

And this 32 foot freestanding tower...

5.jpg

Along with a few antennas...

6.jpg
6b.jpg

See that 2 meter beam that is standing up on its elements? It has 18 elements, is about 20 feet long... and is in my garage at the moment... :D I actually already own a damaged version of this antenna... needs 2 aluminum sections replaced, the guy just gave it to me, I guess I'll fix it and sell it to a club member for the repair cost.

Not all antennas were shown, but there are 5 magnet mount mobiles, one is definitely 2 meters/440 MHz, and the rest... well I'll have to hook up my analyzer and see what I get. They are old and have no markings, and I'm not even sure they all work... There is also a screwdriver mobile antenna missing its whip that needs some work on the rest of it... Any guesses where that one appears to be headed at the moment? :D

We also got a 13 element 2 meter beam, a multiband HF vertical and the kit that extends its useability from 80 to 10 meters, which is going to the other helper (there were three of us), four HF beams, all of which are duel band, and all of which need some repair work done. Three 2 meter/440 MHZ base antennas, one of them is 18 feet long and is advertised as having 10 dB gain on the 2 meter ham band (that one is going on one of our remote members house which happens to be on top of a rather large hill, for APRS use in an APRS deadzone). Did I mention the 50 foot push up poll with the towers? I don't think I did... This isn't even a complete list...

We don't get donations like this very often so all of this that hasn't been spoken for is going to get club members on the air. If it is good as it is it is free to our club members, and the rest is sold at the cost of whatever repair parts cost...

After all is said and done, if we have an extra tower that no one wants... Well I'm hoping... That being said, I came out of this very well for just a days worth of work, so I'm not complaining either way...

The DB

Excellent score!

I've gotten my hands on some of that rusted up tower. I hit it with a wire brush to knock the loose stuff off and shoot it with aluminum Rustoleum. I thin it down a little in the pot so it "seeps" into the surfaces better ...... works like a charm!

PS Which one are you in the pic :tongue:

Very nice DB,
Even better is that you and the tower team are assisting someone and then taking the equipment and offering to your club members and fellow amateur to get them on the air.

It does not get any better than that.

(y)(y)(y)

Excellent score!

I've gotten my hands on some of that rusted up tower. I hit it with a wire brush to knock the loose stuff off and shoot it with aluminum Rustoleum. I thin it down a little in the pot so it "seeps" into the surfaces better ...... works like a charm!

PS Which one are you in the pic :tongue:

Try saying "aluminum Rustoleum" five times, real fast....:whistle:.
(It's usually "aluminum linoleum", but I couldn't help it..)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.