• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What am I missing?

Captain Kilowatt,
No interface at all, which I figure is at least part of the problem. The radio does logic inverting, so that part isn't a problem, I think. I can't open the file you sent. Win-7 doesn't know what to use, I don't either.

hookedon6,
I'm aware of the settings you described. Got them set for use with the 'data jack'. The problem is, where the #3LL do I connect that pin three? And I think that not having an interface thingy is the problem. The interface isn't going to be a problem for much longer though! Or, I could always just put a switch on the end of that line coming out of the data jack.

Crap. Why didn't someone tell me I had to think this stuff through to make it work? I think the 'problem' has been located, maybe. If not, I'm gonna blame all this on you guys!
- 'Doc

(some days are just better than others...)

Doc, it is a regular Windows document file with the .doc file extension. rather appropriate don't you think. ;) It was created with Windows Office 2000 so that may be the problem,too old just like I am feeling today. :cry:

My very simple interface is very similar to the direct keying interface in the doc, the only difference being using the 2N2222 (or whatever it was from the junk box) to key a Radio Shack reed relay and tying both PTT and the pin for CW Type in common to one side of the relay coil. With it I can key both the Icom and the old TS-520S with no worries about voltage on the little transistor.

I do very little CW these days, but I really do like CW Type, and it's a free program.

You know, I really wish I could get into PSK-31 because I used to enjoy RTTY back in the 80s and 90s, but PSK-31 just seems too much like the internet to me, and too many semiu-automated QSOs. It's cool to be able to do it, but boring.

Good luck!

Rick

Interface arrived today, 10 days for delivery, not bad.
Took maybe 30 minutes for me to get things up and running (which is not bad at all for me!), that's both HF and VHF by the way. Now all I have to do is clean up the 'dead bug' cabling all over the seats (after while, too busy playing right now).
Interesting ways of controlling the output power with this thing. You leave everything set as you would for using SSB/AM voice modes, then the interface controls the 'amount' of audio reaching the radio, varies the power that way. Still have to reduce power on FM, but that's fairly common for most VHF/UHF radios, no biggy. Individual controls for each of two radios.
Instructions are good. You do have to be able to translate between 'American English' and 'UK English', but that's no biggy either, just means you need to pay attention.
The only 'problem' I had was one of the mini-DIN plug's plastic housing/insulation was a tad too much for the housing around the TS-480's mini-DIN jack. Whittled a little off of the front and works just dandy. (Squared off flat shape used for feeling how the thing is 'keyed' for the jack, keeps things right-side-up?) The plug fit fine on the TM-D700, no whittling required.
Any adjustment needed in the interface is accessible from the bottom of the outside of the case (adjustment tool supplied too!). Basically, adjusting the individual input levels from the sound cards output. Haven't found any adjustments needed so far.
Worst part was the waiting for it to arrive! Nothing new there, huh?
I am a happy camper!
- 'Doc
:tongue:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.