• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What are the best and worst vehicles to run power in?

the ground rod represents a central point ground connection. it's counterpart in a mobile application has already been identified in this thread.

"Then the whole vehicle is a ground loop since most things are grounded to the battery or the frame and the battery itself is grounded to the frame. In a vehicle where ground is a common shared thing it would seem a loop would be impossible to avoid."

no it isn't, read it again.

eliminate any and all instances where MORE THAN ONE GROUND CONNECTION PATH exists BETWEEN ANY TWO PIECES of EQUIPMENT.

freecell,
i have to say, you are quite cryptic in your posts, sometimes just repeating what you already posted.
if you really want to help me, please form your post to my specific installation.
take a little time to explain something to me (and others who want to learn). rather than reiterating the same general point about multiple ground paths, and expecting us to figure the rest out for ourselves; please be the elmer here, and apply the principle to my installation.
i do appreciate your input on this subject, as you seem to have a handle on the solution.
thanks to all that have replied,
LC

LC -
I think your problem may be caused by what is referred to as "Common Mode Currents." This is a situation where the rf signal travels back down the coax on the coax braid. this is a common problem in mobiles, especially ones with high SWR (like yours). You can try to eliminate this by winding a "rf choke." Wind about 6' of the coax into a coil of about 6-8 turns. Place each turn right next to the other. Secure the turns together with ty-raps. Wind this choke as close to the base of the antenna as possible. Hopefully this will solve your problem. http://signalengineering.com/ultimate/ For a better explanation try this site. Click on COAX BASICS, and scroll down to ,"why does the coax length affect the SWR of my antenna?" This guy explains it a lot better than me. Good luck

Last edited:
399, thanks for the input.
no, changing the coax on the wilson did not cause any problems.

i totally hip on the choke balun idea too.
i chose to use ferrite snap on chokes on the coax for mine.

did nothing.

just for everyone that checks this thread's info; i have given up trying to run a linear in this vehicle.
i am just going to sell it in a few months and get something newer. heck, the car is almost 11 years old anyway.LOL

for now, i just converted my factory mosfet DX959 to dual mosfets, and she is deadkeying 10 watts swinging to about 50 PEP.
that seems to be working fine for now.

thanks for all the help.
i just wish freecell actually wanted to help me instead of just telling everyone that he knows the answer.
very knowledgeable, but not very helpful.
later,
LC

LC -

I've read every post in both of your threads, and there is only one thing that I have a hard time understanding. Why didn't you ground the radio and the linear? Freecell's contention that the coax can be a part of a ground loop is wrong. In a coax transmission line, rf current flows through the center conductor and is radiated into space at the antenna. There is no rf current flow on the braid. The function of the braid is to act as an rf shield and to help maintain a 50 ohm impedance throughout the coax length. Also, there is no DC component on the coax, because dc is decoupled from rf in the transmitter and the amp. So, if there is no current flowing on the braid, how can it function as part of a ground loop? It can't. The ARRL recommends grounding all equipment (base and mobile), and I think you should try this and see if it helps. It can't hurt.

The thing I find interesting about Freecell's little drawing in his 6/05/08 post, is that it is EXACTLY the method the ARRL recommends for base station grounding in their handbook. Hmmmm.

Last edited:
i wouldnt expect freecell to give advise that goes against what the ARRL or any other ham bible has to say . i think they both look at it as a science with protocalls proven over time by the experience of others and intensive testing . at least some of us mere cb'ers have an attitude more along the lines of like "get-er-done" or " yea . its workin'" . lol .

freecell,
i have to say, you are quite cryptic in your posts, sometimes just repeating what you already posted.
if you really want to help me, please form your post to my specific installation.
take a little time to explain something to me (and others who want to learn). rather than reiterating the same general point about multiple ground paths, and expecting us to figure the rest out for ourselves; please be the elmer here, and apply the principle to my installation.
i do appreciate your input on this subject, as you seem to have a handle on the solution.
thanks to all that have replied,
LC
........ANSWER .........i wouldnt expect freecell to give advise that goes against what the ARRL or any other ham bible has to say . i think they both look at it as a science with protocalls proven over time by the experience of others and intensive testing . at least some of us mere cb'ers have an attitude more along the lines of like "get-er-done" or " yea . its workin'" . lol .

I totally understand how frustrating something like this can be LC , been there done that (weather I understood it or not , sometimes it just has to work) .....a 3.1 was the best you could get on a Wilson drill through mount ? but yet the Low pass filter brought it down ? (apprently something else I don't understand ?)

All's IM getting at is this , I've done installs on cars and trucks in the past , (I didn't need to be Einstien to do that) I have come across a few cars in my time that weren't the best concerning the antenna's and swr's given there after , it never mattered what I did and the hours and hours I spent trying to make a differents with given car and antenna , The SWR's were basically 2.1 at best on several vehicals with Wilson's.

After the first car I told my self I would never put myself through that again , next car that came around and all I could get was a 2.1 , I was done , especially with a Wilson drill through !!! It was the best it got and thank God these people weren't looking to run power in the first place.(seems like folks ain't happy unless they can hear that magical mystery tour of the mighty 1.1) those days have come and gone for me to a degree.:)

I once thought you could never miss with a Wilson (I don't care what mount you used) although I don't like any mount except a solid drilled through mount . You can take your magmounts and shove them where the sun don't shine ! I've been in this hobby for the long haul , no need for a shorted to ground mounted antenna base :thumbdown:

It's kind of like this LC , you either understand the theroy of ground loops or you don't ? Guess I've just been lucky with my vehicals and base stations over the years ? :) IM still trying to understand your low pass filter inline in the ride with a Texas star ? (there fairly clean amps to begin with ....aah ?) If I could spell it out for you LC ,I would . Like I said , your not alone dude , I've been right where you were at in the past , when you say new ride in the future , Dude !! IM hearing you loud and clear here about now. (y) SK

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned