• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What cap value for ssb delay

groundwire

Jul 19, 2014
The ssb delay in my new 8 pill is waaaay to short. It practically chatters the relay its so short. The capacitor value was 2200uf. The builder sent me another to try, a 3300uf. Waaaay to long, like 2 1/2 seconds long. Whats a value that works good so i dont have to keep doing this trial and error stuff. I ordered some 2700uf caps, kinda in the middle of the two. Hope it works

The 2200 was far too short and the 3300 was far too long?? Something isn't right. Sounds like maybe the 2200 was either bad or not connected. There should not be that much difference between the two values. I don't like putting a large value cap across the relay coil myself. I like using a much smaller value on the base of the transistor that controls the relay switching.

There must be something wrong.
In KL203 33uF is enough for SSB delay.
Mike

Where is that cap located in the circuit? Is it in the keying circuit or just across the relay coil? If it is just across the relay coil it will have to be MUCH larger to hold enough charge to supply the full relay current whereas if it is in the keying circuit it only has to be large enough to supply base current for the switching transistor.

Reactions: 2NC995
I’ve yet to see a CB amp from the “builders” use the latter design, small cap on the base. Almost always 1000uf and up from relay to ground.

Why? I don’t know.

Where is that cap located in the circuit? Is it in the keying circuit or just across the relay coil? If it is just across the relay coil it will have to be MUCH larger to hold enough charge to supply the full relay current whereas if it is in the keying circuit it only has to be large enough to supply base current for the switching transistor.
Hard to believe, that someone could put cap across a relay to hold tx in ssb.
That's bad design.
Mike

It came with a 2200uf from the ssb switch to ground. So im assuming its the relay coil to ground. The amp is brand new so if the original 2200uf cap is bad who knows. I can order another one and see.

I’ve yet to see a CB amp from the “builders” use the latter design, small cap on the base. Almost always 1000uf and up from relay to ground.

Why? I don’t know.

Because that's how the builder they copied did it. It also guarantees a hot switch. Great for the relay and transistor business.

Reactions: Tokin
Some really smart hams just have a fan blowing into the microphone. They can take long pauses between words without someone doubling with them and wouldn't have to worry about a ssb delay if ham amps had such a thing.

Reactions: Tokin and 2NC995
Any delay circuit worth its salt should also be adjustable like with VOX or in other applications, but direct keying on SSB is the only way to go. It’s very easy to modify any radio / amp setup to accomplish this. You will never reach that perfect delay setting. It will be a compromise at best. Those that operate CW also know this all too well. Once they experience a QSK rig (full break in keying) , they will rarely go back to anything else unless it’s to operate an older rig for some nostalgic reason.

Reactions: 2NC995

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.