• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What do these mods actually do?

loosecannon

Mar 9, 2006
Ran across this the other day while googling for some other info, and it seems like the secret is out about what all is involved in a "Fine Tune" CB radio setup.

So i thought i'd link to the page in hopes of starting some discussion about what the mods listed are doing to the radio's performance.

here's a link to what i found: https://finetunecbshopexposed.blogspot.com/
LC

Haha, these mods only work if the bench equipment has calibrated coax....

NIST-certification tags!

Expose’ accurate or not, personality comes across the wrong way too often. Character then becomes a question-mark. And that’s like a red flag to a bull.

(Hoist by his own petard).

There are others with grossly-overpriced mods. This one fits in that mix (to maintain an idea of fairness), and THAT shootout would be worth it to pay access (ha!).

$365 tickets to the Dallas Opera is past my budget anymore. But $ to an online run-what-ya-brung Super Whack-Pack Competition . . . yeah, I can find that.

Last edited:
Someone's pissed...did up a site to expose such works...

Found it interesting that he (Snake) does the "Poor mans Receive Mod" by changing AGC operation to being a little less aggressive - makes the noise and signals embedded in them - more noticeable - but can prove tiedious to listen to in noisy traffic commutes or if you're surrounded by neighbors with dirty equipment radio or otherwise...
  • I went looking in the Newsgroups but I think the AGC mods described in the site is similar to CB Tricks and other sites that archive similar procedures to these Ancient mods....
That AGC mods' been around for years, and when you look at how people have tried to use the 2999 (no we won't go there again for now but...) to help with sensitivity - only to find the same issues around the noise level and signals you're trying to pull out - needs' a DSP and even, then you're asking - praying - for forgiveness and miracles...

So to even see this - and how the "Stryker" brand seems to get thrown in - I can see that someone owning such a radio takes more pride in knowing (now - hopefully) that trying to make a radio do more than it's purposes intended - gets you to part with money a lot faster and farther - deeper into your wallet - than what you get as a Return on your Investment.

Your "Investment" - is now converted to a pile of work that needs more help from the Factory to repair and replace and correctly apply repairs caused by shops such as this sites "expose'" tries to show.

Found it interesting that he (Snake) does the "Poor mans Receive Mod" by changing AGC operation to being a little less aggressive - makes the noise and signals embedded in them - more noticeable - but can prove tiedious to listen to in noisy traffic commutes or if you're surrounded by neighbors with dirty equipment radio or otherwise...
  • I went looking in the Newsgroups but I think the AGC mods described in the site is similar to CB Tricks and other sites that archive similar procedures to these Ancient mods....
That AGC mods' been around for years, and when you look at how people have tried to use the 2999 (no we won't go there again for now but...) to help with sensitivity - only to find the same issues around the noise level and signals you're trying to pull out - needs' a DSP and even, then you're asking - praying - for forgiveness and miracles...

So to even see this - and how the "Stryker" brand seems to get thrown in - I can see that someone owning such a radio takes more pride in knowing (now - hopefully) that trying to make a radio do more than it's purposes intended - gets you to part with money a lot faster and farther - deeper into your wallet - than what you get as a Return on your Investment.

Your "Investment" - is now converted to a pile of work that needs more help from the Factory to repair and replace and correctly apply repairs caused by shops such as this sites "expose'" tries to show.

The $400 extra spent instead ought to go to other radios.

Or, sacre bleu, to the antenna and it’s installation!!

It actually should go towards DSP Noise Attenuation, first.

As an outboard module or one as contained in a speaker.

For $750 I can put together the entire mobile system. Then hear & talk right past that (those) units. Ha!

Last edited:
The standard peak and tune works for me. I think I pay $40 . Are these Super wack packs still going around?

This blog seems to be exposing the 'super secret' mods that are done by Fine Tune CB shop. I guess someone finally got a hold of one of his radios and went through what was changed.

To me it seems like more of the same old same old. goose the receive, shove more mic audio into the preamp, expand the receive freq response.
its the same stuff people have been doing to 29LTDs and 148GTLs for decades.
just applied to a Stryker radio.
LC

Found it interesting that he (Snake) does the "Poor mans Receive Mod"

Out of everything on that link, Andy, how did you come up with Snake? Are you talking about Tim? I believe we all know that Tim isn't the one in question here, is he?

So what we need now is someone to perform those "mods", right? That's some of that "real world performance", right?

Reactions: Slowmover
Well buddy, I have one but I’m not gonna go performing this “magic” on my daily radio. Regardless of what frick and frack will claim and boast, out the box they’re not bad radios at all. They’re a better choice than some of the other offerings out there, the tired and wore out choices.

The person, term used lightly here, that came up with this gimmick is like a polished turd, it might be all wet and shiny looking but under the shine it’s still a turd.

Ok, I broke down and did this... something is wrong now....

The display screen just shows vape clouds.

All I hear coming from the speaker is tap tap tap.

And maybe I’m just paranoid now but I swear I can hear some faint static occasionally in the speaker and I’m hearing the phrase “pay attention”.

I’m pretty sure I’ve ruined this radio now, it’ll never be the same, the performance was definitely better right out the box. Even after I unplug it I can still hear the tapping...stop!! Hammer time!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.