• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What do y'all think about this scope?

http://www.frys.com/product/8708441?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Be gentle with me I'm new and just looking into equipment for alignment and tune would this be an acceptable scope for that...?

I don't know how many of you are familiar with frys but I don't want a scope that is shipped across country (twice) I know it had to be shipped to store some how but anyways I want to rule out possible shipping damage as much as I can if this scope is not acceptable for radio usage can you give me some that are?

I don't know how many of you are familiar with frys but I don't want a scope that is shipped across country (twice) I know it had to be shipped to store some how but anyways I want to rule out possible shipping damage as much as I can if this scope is not acceptable for radio usage can you give me some that are?

Most of you are gonna say this idiot don't know what the hell he is trying to do and you probably right any help would be appreciated on how to use a scope and how to run full alignment would be good also thanks there is no one around here that works on radios at all it would be a fun hobby for me and could make a little extra $$$$ in the process good radio techs are hard to find as it is... Thanks for the help

An analog scope would be a better bargain. You really don't need a four channel digital scope either; it has features that are unnecessary that just raises the price. If you hunt around and take a little time, you can find a 50 or 100mhz analog scope for about $100 more or less. You will need to spend money on other important bits of gear, so I would save your scratch for that - IMO. That is if you are going to put together your own repair station . . .

Reactions: LeapFrog
I don't know how many of you are familiar with frys but I don't want a scope that is shipped across country (twice) I know it had to be shipped to store some how but anyways I want to rule out possible shipping damage as much as I can .........

Don't really know how to respond to this one. (n) what's the difference between that and a scope shipped across the Pacific Ocean and then flown across the country and then trucked to the store? Shipping damage equals refund. Period. As for suitability, 50 MHz is good enough for CB. My only concern is who the hell is Rigol the manufacturer? I know they are Chinese but that alone makes me wonder. I prefer the likes of Tektronix, Agilent, or Hewlitt-Packard.

Don't really know how to respond to this one. (n) what's the difference between that and a scope shipped across the Pacific Ocean and then flown across the country and then trucked to the store? Shipping damage equals refund. Period. As for suitability, 50 MHz is good enough for CB. My only concern is who the hell is Rigol the manufacturer? I know they are Chinese but that alone makes me wonder. I prefer the likes of Tektronix, Agilent, or Hewlitt-Packard.

Frys if you request they can calibrate and check your oscilloscope for factory defects before you buy it to ensure quality that's what I was getting at sorry didn't make that clear I just don't want to be aligning radios with a damaged scope and how would I know if it was knocked around all stupid in shipping and decalibrated if you will lol

An analog scope would be a better bargain. You really don't need a four channel digital scope either; it has features that are unnecessary that just raises the price. If you hunt around and take a little time, you can find a 50 or 100mhz analog scope for about $100 more or less. You will need to spend money on other important bits of gear, so I would save your scratch for that - IMO. That is if you are going to put together your own repair station . . .

I know digital is a little cheaper but can't you view more readings with a digital? I would only assume it would make it easier for me starting out and learning if I had an analog huh?

I agree with Captain Kilowatt. An older Tektronics would not be bad, but this one might have potential to also be a Spectrum Analyzer. I think it might also be able to be a frequency counter as well. I know it is computerized but so is most my test gear.
Frequency counters compare an unknown signal to a standard frequency, as does the Spectrum Analyzer.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Frys if you request they can calibrate and check your oscilloscope for factory defects before you buy it to ensure quality that's what I was getting at sorry didn't make that clear I just don't want to be aligning radios with a damaged scope and how would I know if it was knocked around all stupid in shipping and decalibrated if you will lol

How do you know the FedEx guy that delivers it from Fry's didn't drop it off the back of the truck and kick it all the way to your door? Paying someone to calibrate and check out a brand new piece of gear that is supposed to be in 100% good shape is money wasted IMHO. that is what warranties are for. FWIW any scope I have used has a self test port on the front where you can clip your leads and measure both frequency and amplitude from an internal standard. Now if you ask how do you know the standard is correct I will call you paranoid and not deserving of ANY test gear. As for that Dosy test centre.......forget it if you are serious about wanting some decent test gear.

I got my 1980's Tektronix months ago
One capacitor went dead (short-circuit) and took out a resistor when I first fired it up... I should have used a variac and slowly drove up the voltage....
I just now (today) hooked it up to my home-made rf sampler (I had to order a bnc jumper & wait), I still don't know what the hell I am doing, but I am close..

Don't give up DodgeRam. I know you can do this, you just have to learn what and from where to read, and to ask the right questions when you have the opportunity to ask..
and could make a little extra $$$$ in the process
This part worries me, wait a few years, build your own radio as a learning project... REALLY understand how they work first, before you even think about making a buck...
Otherwise those who know will not respect you & your prospect will fail..

Many good people are on the internet, & will help you, you just have-to show initiative and try, the reward of fixing your own equipment will come.. in due time. The purchase was a good step, but next time look into the various options you have, sometimes spending more is not better!

EDIT: If you want a peak reading meter, why not use an oscilloscope instead?
DOSY meters are better left for the user not the tuner...
Any meter can work as a reference point but once you decide to do your first "tune up" someone is going to laugh and walk away if you show them output on a DOSY meter.. j.m.h.o.

-Leap

Last edited:
How do you know the FedEx guy that delivers it from Fry's didn't drop it off the back of the truck and kick it all the way to your door? Paying someone to calibrate and check out a brand new piece of gear that is supposed to be in 100% good shape is money wasted IMHO. that is what warranties are for. FWIW any scope I have used has a self test port on the front where you can clip your leads and measure both frequency and amplitude from an internal standard. Now if you ask how do you know the standard is correct I will call you paranoid and not deserving of ANY test gear. As for that Dosy test centre.......forget it if you are serious about wanting some decent test gear.

Thank you caption kilowatt I do appreciate your input I don't mean to get you flustard... I pay for my scope online call frys with my order number ask them to check the scope out for any defects and make sure it is with in specifications then pay a small fee drive and hour and a half to the city ( where their located ) and pick up the scope place it carefully into the front seat of my truck Buckle it in the seat belt and carefully drive it home assuming I don't get in a terrible accident on the way home I will feel confident I did every thing i possibly could to ensure the quality of my work when I align a radio...
That is all I was saying, in my career as a diesel technician that's 25% of my day verifying the equipment I'm am using is accurate before I make the assumption that it is and completely erraticate my results and send me on a wild goose chase and waste my time and money

As far as the whole me second guessing the standard of anything is like buying 5 tape measures to make sure you cut a piece of wood correct... Or using 6 different $800 torque wrenches to make sure the head bolts and main caps are torqued correctly... Or buying 10 different measuring cups to make sure the cake has enough flower in it... Or buying 8 different thermometers and making sure they all read the exact same.... I understand what your saying completely don't get me wrong and don't take offense to what I have to say all I'm saying is I want my work on radios to be like everything else I do and that is the best of my ability and if asking some one to check the calibration of a scope and me personally drive it home from the store my self gives me peace of mind than that's what I will do to ensure I have done every thing I can to have a good quality service done...

I got my 1980's Tektronix months ago
One capacitor went dead (short-circuit) and took out a resistor when I first fired it up... I should have used a variac and slowly drove up the voltage....
I just now (today) hooked it up to my home-made rf sampler (I had to order a bnc jumper & wait), I still don't know what the hell I am doing, but I am close..

Don't give up DodgeRam. I know you can do this, we just have to learn what and from where to read, and to ask the right questions when we have the opportunity to ask..

This part worries me, wait a few years, build your own radio as a learning project... REALLY understand how they work first, before you even think about making a buck...
Otherwise those who know will not respect you & your prospect will fail..

Many good people are on the internet, & will help you, you just have-to show initiative and try, the reward of fixing your on equipment will come.. in due time. The purchase was a good step, but next time look into the various options you have, sometimes spending more is not better!

EDIT: If you want a peak reading meter, why not use an oscilloscope instead?
DOSY meters are better left for the user not the tuner...
Any meter can work as a reference point but once you decide to do your first "tune up" someone is going to laugh and walk away if you show them output on a DOSY meter.. j.m.h.o.

-Leap

Thanks leap frog I really appreciate you taking it easy on some one who is just starting out

I am not in this hobby to just throw around junk radios and try to earn a buck all I was saying was like all hobbies they cost money and if that cost can be countered by a little profit it never hurts to have a hobby pay for itself!!! And I am very interested in learning to do it right, I'm a firm believer of do it right or don't do it at all!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.