• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What do y'all think about this scope?

No doubt brother I'm glad that you are not like many Fly-by-Night shade tree mechanics, if you truly care about quality I believe you will make it. (y)

Look for an RF probe and an RF signal generator next. Other than that you will need an audio frequency/function generator, and possibly a vacuum tube voltmeter for sinad meter receiver alignments ( many manuals I have read for alignment procedure referred to a VTVM, this is (i believe) because a digital multimeter will not show you the same type of reading as an analog needle.)
Picture an HVAC technician with his gauge taking a compressor reading, on an analog gauge with a needle it will show him if one of the valves are partially stuck open by the way the needle gradually deflects, this would be much harder to ascertain on a digital meter. A lot of die-hards prefer the analog meter because if you're not extremely observant it will be very hard to detect certain fluctuations on a digital meter.

-Leap

Last edited:
Thanks leap frog I really appreciate you taking it easy on some one who is just starting out

I am not in this hobby to just throw around junk radios and try to earn a buck all I was saying was like all hobbies they cost money and if that cost can be countered by a little profit it never hurts to have a hobby pay for itself!!! And I am very interested in learning to do it right, I'm a firm believer of do it right or don't do it at all!!!

You have to know how something works before you can fix it right??? That's what I'm trying to accomplish first but wanted to get a general idea of equiptment and how it works and what I need too

You have to know how something works before you can fix it right??? That's what I'm trying to accomplish first but wanted to get a general idea of equiptment and how it works and what I need too
Yes electronic circuits can be compared to engines, so If you adjust the vales without the proper tools you get poor performance, same thing with a radio, crack open that modulation variable resistor and without the right tool ('scope) how can you set it proper?!

But yes you can get the core ideals down without all the fancy test gear.
It is easier when you are trying to explain everything to yourself when you have measurable data to go by as a reference point, as opposed to just tuning-by-ear on the fly!

A few guys can make my 305 s.b.c. run OKAY by setting the points by ear, but I prefer the guy with a timing light... (just a little analogy that may be accurate or not but you still get the idea)
Tools are important, I would buy a good used timing light first & then learn how to use it.

-Leap aka Sam

Last edited:
Hey there.Looks like a cool scope but don't overlook the analog Tektronix scope if your looking for a good starter scope.Maybe run it along side of a spectrum analyzer.For what it's worth,i started out with a digitizing scope and actually went back to an analog.It just seemed like the analog was more real time measurement so to speak.Not saying that a newer 1 wouldnt be better.And if it had a spectrum analyzer that changes the picture.Like you I'm still learning and started working on my own radios because I have this obsession to try an tune them to the best of my ability.Really want a spectrum analyzer but most of them are out of my price range for now.Anyway good luck.Collecting test gear can be addicting

Reactions: LeapFrog
Thank you caption kilowatt I do appreciate your input I don't mean to get you flustard... I pay for my scope online call frys with my order number ask them to check the scope out for any defects and make sure it is with in specifications then pay a small fee drive and hour and a half to the city ( where their located ) and pick up the scope place it carefully into the front seat of my truck Buckle it in the seat belt and carefully drive it home assuming I don't get in a terrible accident on the way home I will feel confident I did every thing i possibly could to ensure the quality of my work when I align a radio...
That is all I was saying, in my career as a diesel technician that's 25% of my day verifying the equipment I'm am using is accurate before I make the assumption that it is and completely erraticate my results and send me on a wild goose chase and waste my time and money

As far as the whole me second guessing the standard of anything is like buying 5 tape measures to make sure you cut a piece of wood correct... Or using 6 different $800 torque wrenches to make sure the head bolts and main caps are torqued correctly... Or buying 10 different measuring cups to make sure the cake has enough flower in it... Or buying 8 different thermometers and making sure they all read the exact same.... I understand what your saying completely don't get me wrong and don't take offense to what I have to say all I'm saying is I want my work on radios to be like everything else I do and that is the best of my ability and if asking some one to check the calibration of a scope and me personally drive it home from the store my self gives me peace of mind than that's what I will do to ensure I have done every thing I can to have a good quality service done...

I was not aware you were within driving distance to Fry's and planned to pick it up yourself however my feelings are still the same. Whenever I buy something I don't ask to have it checked out before taking delivery even if it is shipped to me. Again, that is what warranties are for and I have never been screwed over. Not sure if it is paranoia or OCD but the examples you gave above definitely point to one of them. No offense if either is the case. If it makes you happy then be happy. I just think there is no need of it whatsoever but then again I tend to buy quality gear and I am not convinced that scope is quality. Again no offense. The BIGGEST thing you can do to ensure the work you do on gear is make sure YOU know how to use the equipment and that YOU understand what you are doing. once you have that in the bag you will be 9/10 of the way there. When I started out tinkering with equipment you should see the half assed stuff I worked with. LOL I used the audio section from one radio to search the audio section of another radio while repairing it. It worked as an audio probe kinda thing. I did have quite an interest in electronics in general and not just radio but I did eventually go to school and worked 22 years in the commercial broadcast industry so I know where you are coming from starting out but I also know what you need to do to be successful in it. I wish you the best of luck as consumer electronic repair is a brutal world to live in. I was fortunate enough to live in the commercial/broadcast electronic world which is considerably different as you only had the general manager breathing down your neck, well and maybe an irate salesman or two, and not many different customers at the same time. LOL

I was not aware you were within driving distance to Fry's and planned to pick it up yourself however my feelings are still the same. Whenever I buy something I don't ask to have it checked out before taking delivery even if it is shipped to me. Again, that is what warranties are for and I have never been screwed over. Not sure if it is paranoia or OCD but the examples you gave above definitely point to one of them. No offense if either is the case. If it makes you happy then be happy. I just think there is no need of it whatsoever but then again I tend to buy quality gear and I am not convinced that scope is quality. Again no offense. The BIGGEST thing you can do to ensure the work you do on gear is make sure YOU know how to use the equipment and that YOU understand what you are doing. once you have that in the bag you will be 9/10 of the way there. When I started out tinkering with equipment you should see the half assed stuff I worked with. LOL I used the audio section from one radio to search the audio section of another radio while repairing it. It worked as an audio probe kinda thing. I did have quite an interest in electronics in general and not just radio but I did eventually go to school and worked 22 years in the commercial broadcast industry so I know where you are coming from starting out but I also know what you need to do to be successful in it. I wish you the best of luck as consumer electronic repair is a brutal world to live in. I was fortunate enough to live in the commercial/broadcast electronic world which is considerably different as you only had the general manager breathing down your neck, well and maybe an irate salesman or two, and not many different customers at the same time. LOL

Some people call it paranoid or OCD that's fine I call it doing the best I can...

Somw people might say I'm paranoid for having 10,000 rounds of ammunition I like to call it prepared

Same goes with three months of dry goods stocked in storage some might say paranoid I call it prepared

Or maybe having a concealed hand gun license and carrying a weapon on my person at all times ( where I can ) may seem like I'm afraid to some people but it seems to me like I'm prepared to protect my family and friends if need be

There is many ways you can call many different things but at the end of the day it is what it is to you

I don't go around knocking people back by telling them they are paranoid or have OCD just because they are trying to verify something is accurate before using it I don't understand that... Do you double check your work when you work on your radios? Hummmm you must be paranoid you did something wrong or wait you must have OCD!!!!!!!!!!

I'll put it to you like this I'm a 25 year old kid still and if I feel like doing something to the best of my ability that's what I'm gonna do there has been so many people that talk crap about my work but I prove the Wrong all the time cause I Strive to do the very best I can and if you see something wrong with that if you can find me doing wrong by me getting my equiptment checked before use then there may be something wrong with the way your doing things just saying every one can have their own opinion I obviously am paranoid and have OCD

Some people call it paranoid or OCD that's fine I call it doing the best I can...

Somw people might say I'm paranoid for having 10,000 rounds of ammunition I like to call it prepared

Same goes with three months of dry goods stocked in storage some might say paranoid I call it prepared

Or maybe having a concealed hand gun license and carrying a weapon on my person at all times ( where I can ) may seem like I'm afraid to some people but it seems to me like I'm prepared to protect my family and friends if need be

There is many ways you can call many different things but at the end of the day it is what it is to you

I don't go around knocking people back by telling them they are paranoid or have OCD just because they are trying to verify something is accurate before using it I don't understand that... Do you double check your work when you work on your radios? Hummmm you must be paranoid you did something wrong or wait you must have OCD!!!!!!!!!!

No need to be pissy about it. The examples you gave of 8 thermometers or 6 measuring tapes or multiple whatever...... DOES indeed show signs of OCD. I know a few people with that and that is exactly what they do. Checking out the results of a tune-up ONCE is fine but multiple times is just chewing your gum twice....or four times....whatever. Like I said Most people have one thermometer and carefully use ONE tape measure. You are taking this all wrong. If you truly do use 8 thermometers and 6 measuring tapes to check, check again, recheck, and recheck again then that is beyond doing the best you can and approaching OCD. Maybe i just have more confidence in my abilities but that is the way I see it. Again....IF THAT MAKES YOU HAPPY THEN BY ALL MEANS BE HAPPY. I just do not see the point in having it checked when it is brand new. Do you have everything checked out before you buy it or is this simply a case where you have no idea about what it is you are buying and because of that you have no idea if it is working correctly or not? That is why i said the best thing to do is learn about HOW it should be working first and the manual is the route to go with that.

I don't think Captain kilowatt was making a personal attack on you it's just the way that you worded your posts, It kind of gave the impression that you were overly concerned especially because you're buying a brand new item that is supposed to be calibrated from the factory, my scope is like 30 years old and probably needs to be calibrated but I'm not going to spazz (I care about fine details too man).

I will tell you though, Captain Kilowatt is a veteran here, and although he may not have touched a CB radio in many years this man has still helped many people who are not licensed ham radio amateurs, I understand your defensiveness and reaction but you will not earn many brownie points here if you are easily offended. Nobody is going to spend their limited personal time trying to educate you, unless you can be humble.

(Just my opinion)
-Sam aka Leap

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
I don't think Captain kilowatt was making a personal attack on you it's just the way that you worded your posts, It kind of gave the impression that you were overly concerned especially because you're buying a brand new item that is supposed to be calibrated from the factory, my scope is like 30 years old and probably needs to be calibrated but I'm not going to spazz (I care about fine details too man).

I will tell you though, Captain Kilowatt is a veteran here, and although he may not have touched a CB radio in many years this man has still helped many people who are not licensed ham radio amateurs, I understand your defensiveness and reaction but you will not earn many brownie points here if you are easily offended. Nobody is going to spend their limited personal time trying to educate you, unless you can be humble.

(Just my opinion)
-Sam aka Leap

Thank you. Yes nothing personal in my comments but basing my comments on 07Dodgeram5.9's comments. I'm done in this thread. Getting tired of people asking questions and not liking the answers. Besides I have a WHOLE SHOP to clean out before company arrives for a BBQ.

Thank you. Yes nothing personal in my comments but basing my comments on 07Dodgeram5.9's comments. I'm done in this thread. Getting tired of people asking questions and not liking the answers. Besides I have a WHOLE SHOP to clean out before company arrives for a BBQ.

I ask your professional opinion on the scope not your personal opinion on my work ethics buddy

P.S. Caption kill-a-twat would be a better name(y)

I ask your professional opinion on the scope not your personal opinion on my work ethics buddy

P.S. Caption kill-a-twat would be a better name(y)

And you would be that twat I guess. I wasn't giving an opinion on your work ethics. You seem to have good ethics ie. wanting to do something right. That is ethics. The question of having it checked out is not ethics. I suggest you get better informed. YOU are the one that came up with ridiculous examples and I said that if that is what you really do it is approaching either paranoia or OCD. That is when YOU accused ME of calling you that. Note I said IF YOU REALLY DID THAT. There is a difference. I was trying to understand WHY you would want to spend money having a brand new item checked and calibrated due to fears of it getting out of calibration in shipping when it would then need to be shipped to you. You later informed me you would be picking it up in person. Not my fault you did not provide enough info. I know I said I was done with this thread but since YOU resorted to name calling I am forced to respond. I will however recommend that it stop and since you are young I will let that ONE shot go and chalk it up to immaturity. Just remember what happens when you argue with and call an admin names. Hint: you lose. Now if you can accept that the crap stops now then all is fine. If not.....well...........:rolleyes:

And you would be that twat I guess. I wasn't giving an opinion on your work ethics. You seem to have good ethics ie. wanting to do something right. That is ethics. The question of having it checked out is not ethics. I suggest you get better informed. YOU are the one that came up with ridiculous examples and I said that if that is what you really do it is approaching either paranoia or OCD. That is when YOU accused ME of calling you that. Note I said IF YOU REALLY DID THAT. There is a difference. I was trying to understand WHY you would want to spend money having a brand new item checked and calibrated due to fears of it getting out of calibration in shipping when it would then need to be shipped to you. You later informed me you would be picking it up in person. Not my fault you did not provide enough info. I know I said I was done with this thread but since YOU resorted to name calling I am forced to respond. I will however recommend that it stop and since you are young I will let that ONE shot go and chalk it up to immaturity. Just remember what happens when you argue with and call an admin names. Hint: you lose. Now if you can accept that the crap stops now then all is fine. If not.....well...........:rolleyes:

Lol

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.