• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What do you think??

okay than i might just go with a texas star 350?

Bingo!
That is what I would choose - too.
Draws 35 amps; OK for the electrical system.
Decent for both AM and SSB performance too.

That amp requires no more than 30 watts input for a clean output; so a RCI 2950DX should work out fine. The RCI isn't an AM audio monster like the Magnum; but with a decent mic it will be just fine. The Magnum output is too hot for the amp; the dual MOSFET output transistors will swing the output too high - even when turned down.

The Texas Star 350 'Variable' model is one to stay away from. The non-variable is what I have; you won't have to worry about burning out the variable power control.

Either an Astatic D-104 Minuteman II or RF Limited CR-577 mic would also be what I would do with this particular radio for best AM/SSB performance/transmit audio. The CR-577 is better - IMO - I use one in my mobile . . .

the variable can be replaced with a better one or a cap with the proper value .
i drove a 500v (4x2879) to its full clean power capability with just 16-17 watts pep . i doubt the 350 2x2879 would require more .

Two '2879s?
If you can't drive them with about 4 or 5 watts (as in a stock radio) to full useful output, you're doing something wrong. They just do not take much drive for normal operation. Take a look at the spec sheet.
- 'Doc

Texas Star recommends 25 watts for optimal results for the 350 model. 30 watts would be the top of what I would put in for CB.

BootyMon: I'd like to see a link for modifying the variable on these Texas Star amps. Don't doubt you for a second - just like to have it here as a reference for others. Thanx!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.