• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What do you think??

radioman24

Jul 19, 2009
Okay i am thinking about a new mobile setup, what should i go with?

1. rci 2970n2
2. superstar ss158edx with a texas star dx500v or 667v
3. magnum s9 with a texas star dx500v or 667

thanks,Dan

For SSB use the 2970 will prove to be the most freq stable. For AM use, the Magnum S9 or the SS158 will probably be the 'loudest', but because of the Top Gun modules, I'd have to give the nod to the S9.

For SSB, I think the SS158 would be the most UNSTABLE of the bunch, from the reviews I've read.

Since the 2970 already has a built in amplifier, albeit not as powerful as either of the Texas Star externals, the MOST 'versatile' of the 3 at the least expense, would have to be the 2970 stand alone.

However, if you went with either of the other two configurations, you'd have an external amplifier that you could run with ANY other rig, mobile or base (w/sufficient p.s. to run the Texas Star(s) ).

Now that the displays have been improved, I really like the current batches of 2970 and 2950's. Another option would be a 2950 with a Texas Star.

if AM is your priority the s9 with the 500V .

if ssb is a priority a 2950DX with the 500V .

if just the CB band is a priority a uniden grant with a 500v .

I would run the 500v over a 667 any day. Given your exact choices I would take #3 with the 500V.

Or you could go with the Magnum S9-80 and a TnT 600.

For SSB use the 2970 will prove to be the most freq stable. For AM use, the Magnum S9 or the SS158 will probably be the 'loudest', but because of the Top Gun modules, I'd have to give the nod to the S9.

For SSB, I think the SS158 would be the most UNSTABLE of the bunch, from the reviews I've read.

Since the 2970 already has a built in amplifier, albeit not as powerful as either of the Texas Star externals, the MOST 'versatile' of the 3 at the least expense, would have to be the 2970 stand alone.

However, if you went with either of the other two configurations, you'd have an external amplifier that you could run with ANY other rig, mobile or base (w/sufficient p.s. to run the Texas Star(s) ).

Now that the displays have been improved, I really like the current batches of 2970 and 2950's. Another option would be a 2950 with a Texas Star.
i agree with this this completly

You might consider replacing the coax on the Wilson 1000 with an equal length piece of Times/Microwave LMR-240 Ultraflex. It will handle that power you will give that antenna easily. I just wouldn't trust the stock coax with more than 300 watts - even though it is rated for that. LMR-240 is double shielded coax; a layer of foil surrounded by 95% braided shield with a stranded flexible center and is rated at 800 watts. Might cost $15 to replace the stock stuff - including the new PL-239 connector. Just be sure not to kink the coax.

You may be getting up to 600 watts out of the linear. It will also draw up to 75 amps of current from your vehicle's system. What kind of car/truck is it? Trucks generally have larger capacity electrical systems in them; cars are not that beefy. Makes a difference between running a big linear or a small one. Could change you whole radio/amp choice profoundly.

Just some thoughts . . .

You have maybe 90 to 110 amp capacity from the alternator. You might well be overtaxing your electrical system with the choices you have provided.

I use a barefoot Galaxy 99V radio in my car with the same Wilson antenna you have. When skip is in; I have no trouble making contacts. The 99V has less output than a stock Magnum S-9.

You might reconsider going with the RCI 2950DX and a two pill amp. There isn't much difference in output between a 300 watt amp a 600 watt amp - as far a S-units are concerned to a receiving radio (not even 1 db difference - which is 1/6 of an S-unit - BTW). Doubtful that either you or anyone else would be able to tell the difference. But your cars electrical system will thank you for not overloading it. A 300 watt amp will draw about 35 amps; 40 amps less than a 600 watt amp will. It is the difference between not getting a more expensive and powerful alternator - or using the one you have . . .

You might consider this carefully . . .

You have maybe 90 to 110 amp capacity from the alternator. You might well be overtaxing your electrical system with the choices you have provided.

I use a barefoot Galaxy 99V radio in my car with the same Wilson antenna you have. When skip is in; I have no trouble making contacts. The 99V has less output than a stock Magnum S-9.

You might reconsider going with the RCI 2950DX and a two pill amp. There isn't much difference in output between a 300 watt amp a 600 watt amp - as far a S-units are concerned to a receiving radio (not even 1 db difference - which is 1/6 of an S-unit - BTW). Doubtful that either you or anyone else would be able to tell the difference. But your cars electrical system will thank you for not overloading it. A 300 watt amp will draw about 35 amps; 40 amps less than a 600 watt amp will. It is the difference between not getting a more expensive and powerful alternator - or using the one you have . . .

You might consider this carefully . . .

I think you meant to say not even 1 S Unit diff. 300 watts to 600 watts is 3db or 1/2 an S Unit.

I also have to say that if those power levels are in AVG and not Pep, they are too low by a factor of 2, +/- a bit. Double them and you're closer to what you will actually draw at those power levels.
All things considered, with a 90 - 100 amp alternator either 'size' amplifier could probably be used if the battery is fully charged. Since any use will partially drain a battery, that alternator should be able to keep things fairly well charged if the use is sort of limited. The more transmit time, the less the battery will be recharged. So, you gotta watch it.
All solid state amplifier and radios are only about 50% efficient, that's just a fact of life. That means that it will require almost twice as much 'juice' to produce the output as if figuring from that output power alone. 600 watts divided by 12 volts is 50 amps, then times 2 because of that efficiency thing and you got 100 amps of DC input power to run that amplifier. Measure it, see for your self.
- 'Doc

Oh, and stay in AVG power units, Pep is meaningless with AM.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio