• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What does "barefoot" or "stock" really mean to people?

Barefoot = No external amp....check, well most the time.

If it means a unmodified radio..Everytime I key. It's exactly the way it left the factory.

But if it means FCC compliant. Is Cali still part of America?

IN the Golden, Olden days of CB, the jargon you say "barefoot" or "Stock" is more related to how someone were to operate their equipment...

It's lingo, slang - jargon...

IF you ran a Linear or Amp you would call it a "Foot warmer" or a "Boot" - like you'd use for outside - something that lasts for the journey. Think of it as a signal traveling out - it takes a journey - if you use a "boot" the signal can travel far - farther than without using one.

IF you traveled a lot, you could get blisters from walking - so the moniker of "footwarmer" also segued into what we call amplifier - and it also rivaled it's truer nature of an accessory that did get very hot as you used it - it also meant the driver was also a risk taker or speeder because of the notion that if you have one - you use it to step over the noise and chatter - like you'd put your foot into the accelerator pedal to go faster - make your vehicle work harder - you worked your feet to travel. "pedalpumper" was another...

You also had the problem of travelers that would be going opposite ways along the highway - a quick bear check or speed radar traps (Kojack with a Kodak was one of an officer using a radar gun to catch speeders and mail them the ticket if photo radar too) could help those close by. But to get the word out of a possible backup due to an accident or delay - a "boot" came in handy then, for the driver to get the word out about problems they saw behind them, but others travelling in the other direction would not - and so it helped in traffic and busy highways during rush hour to have such a device to help spread the word and help drivers avoid delays.

So "Boot" referred to amplifiers for a CB'er to use to "talk" for longer - greater, distances than without them.

Like traveling along a highway - what we'd call a Semi following too close, would be called a tailgater today, but back then - it was a form of "drafting" to keep fuel costs down and allow a vehicle to nearly "Draft" behind another and they called that "Keeping your Tail feathers warm" - cars did this too, so it clung to the drivers , of the female persuasion, that also followed closely to semis to obtain fuel economy. IT also served as a warning or guidance for the "convoy" of vehicles - as it a driver would have to be extra careful of their tails - because of the close quarters the trailing drivers were in distance from what they drafted off of.

So, as drivers get closer together as they travel in the same direction - their "boots" got turned off as they got too close and their radios "overloaded" from the stronger signals close-by. So they'd oftentimes ask the other driver if they were - or could they be - barefoot so they can talk to each other without sounding all garbled up or overloaded in each other receive.

They also could ask if you had, "uppers" "lowers" or "funnies" so they could go to another channel on a closer frequency but not in the CB band (40 up or 40 down meant that the guy had a radio with "capabilities" so they could go out of band to converse as needed).

So in a way - "stock" referred to a no-frills radio that you just bought back at the local Truck Stop or Radio Shop and it has not been modified yet.

My 2 cents - woof, there's a lot here ... Keep the change to help pay the toll's on the turnpike further down the road - past the billboard sign that's got a County Mounty parked behind it in a Plain Wrapper taking pictures of your backside as you go by that mile marker - be sure to smile and wave - tell them Handy Andy says hello...

That's the way I always understood it. An external amp was called either "shoes", a "boot" or a "footwarmer", barefoot meant running without any of these external power adders. A higher powered radio was just that, a higher powered radio. With no external amp you were still barefoot and mods done to the radio didn't change this.

Stock was an unmodified radio.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
That's the way I always understood it. An external amp was called either "shoes", a "boot" or a "footwarmer", barefoot meant running without any of these external power adders. A higher powered radio was just that, a higher powered radio. With no external amp you were still barefoot and mods done to the radio didn't change this.

Stock was an unmodified radio.

Agreed.

Opps dont forget a heater,big footwarmer in your house

Must have been a Southern Thang...but we used to call linear amplifiers "kickers"

Like saying, "Have you heard you Big Ernie on his new six tube Elkin kicker?"
yer ol pal vern kicker back

Reactions: S&W357
All those old Elkin Amps were made In Elkin NC...about 45 miles from where I live.

Still some of them on the air around here.
too bad we cant still buy new american made quailty new

“Kicker” was the term I’d hear. “Lynn-yer” is my favorite way to have fun with it.

“Boot” is new to me.

Given today’s composite-body tractors, the KL203 “boot” is pretty much a necessity. Happily it’s both cheap and not power-hungry.

Reactions: Rwb and S&W357
Kinda like the term birddog on my dash has his hair up
Radar on nearby

Barefoot back in the day meant 4 watts on AM, and 12 on SSB. Now stock radios can have over 100 watts. To me that's not Barefoot. A compleatly stock FCC compliant CB Radio, not an export in my book is Barefoot.

Reactions: Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.