• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What electronics have YOU fixed lately?

I did a restore and re-cap on a 1992 Technics SA GX330 home audio receiver. All 112 caps replaced, new thermal compound on all parts that had it and thorough cleaning of the boards. Also re-soldered every pad with some good Kester 60/40.

In process of mounting the new Orion 115v cooling fan with a speed controller with an added fuse that will run anytime the unit is turned on via the rear mounted switched outlets. The OEM way ran the fan only when the volume was up a certain percent. This led to over heating and letting some puffs of magic smoke out! Glad I caught it in time!

Okay, feeling good about things.
In a previous post in this thread, I mentioned I was working on an old Yaesu FT-101EE.
Well, the old boy is up and running, and performing very well.
Replaced "all" electrolytic caps in the entire radio.
Replaced all the old cracking Mylar caps on the audio board.
Had two of the original crystals that were working sporadically and replaced them.
Replaced and upgraded some other old silver mica caps that were questionable and a couple coming off the driver tube to the finals.
Replaced all the trimmer caps for the driver (five in all), they were all "frozen/stuck" and two of them broke when trying to get them to move.
I completely removed all knobs and scrubbed them to look new again. while I had them off, I removed the front faceplate and cleaned it. The front of the radio looks new again.
I scrubbed the rest of the cabinet and covers and they look Clean, but not new. that's okay.
I am using an old Turner SSB +2 microphone with it that I also restored.
I really like "playing" with this old radio. I finished it up about a month ago.

Now, for this past month, I have repaired and restored an old Pearce Simpson Simba SSB transceiver.
I removed the master crystal for channels 1-4, and installed a master crystal for channels 36, 37, 38, & 40.
Also had to replace the main relays.
Ken's Electronics is great to find parts for old radios.
I did this for someone who requested it because he wanted to buy the old radio from me and offered to pay a price that indicated he wanted the radio very much. ($300) .....
I didn't have to do too much to the radio.
The internal power supply wasn't working, so I removed the bad diodes and installed a 4 amp bridge rectifier. It only required a 2 amp rectifying circuit.
also had to completely re-lamp the radio. Used all LED lights .......
I cleaned and polished the cabinet and it looked great.
The gentleman also had an old Turner SSB +2 microphone that he asked me to refurbish and wire to the Simba SSB.
Talks great. Sounds great.

At present I’m restoring a vintage 1940-41 Philco AM/SW portable. Note: It’s called a portable only because of its wooden caring handle, no batteries involved. I bought it about 10 years ago at a flea market for $30. This set appeared in excellent condition. The owner said he found it in the attic after he moved in, and when he turned it on, all he heard was a loud hum. Meanwhile, I’m grinning and could hardly wait to bring this prize home for a filter cap replacement. After replacing the two filter caps it immediately came to life. It’s been sitting up on our kitchen cabinet as my trophy every since. Once in awhile I turn it on, but my wife is leery about this old radio causing a fire. Our neighbor reminded her that she had an old radio that that caught on fire (typical rotten power cord). I’m not totally conceding to her wish, but the right side of my brain is saying I should do a more thorough or convincing restoration. This time I’m replacing all the caps and any out of tolerant resistors, tune-up etc. The old power cord looks good, but I plan on replacing it too while she looks over my shoulder.

Representation photo
philco41-220amid.jpg

Unfortunately, I am only qualified to tear up a tank with a rubber hammer.:p But did successfully re-weld a 2sc1969 back in a 148. Sadly enough, even though it brought it back to life, there are larger problems with this unit.:cry: Other 148 has decided to fade in AM modulation and refuses to cooperate.:censored: Fixed a clamp on light!!!!:whistle: By swapping it out with one that worked:barefoot:.......not sure if that even registers for qualification of fix'n. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

ohhh? That box! Sorry, been doing the dentist thing for a week. Pain and more pain. wisdom tooth pushing molar up. Yanked that molar, then another on other side went wako in Waco on me......back to dentist for another extraction. That one hurt more and have been in pain, but I can now chew a cooked noodle.

Reactions: S&W357
Gen 7 paperwhite 3 kindle . Disassembly , battery removal, jailbreak, reassembly.
Once the peanut butter cookie was removed from the usb port and the battery was jump started , why not jailbreak ?
Seems that it will not charge a dead battery. Charge controller needs to see something other than a short, open, or resistance . If it falls below a few milivolts the charge controller goes stupid.
The browser is about useless. Viewing schematics is hopeless. It does however do what it was intended to. It's a good book reader. With the jailbreak I get to use my fonts and ignore the overmind.

http://www.myfixguide.com/manual/amazon-kindle-paperwhite-3-teardown/

Replaced charging pins on my Samsung Gear Fit2 watch. Who thinks its a good idea to make charging pins on the back of a fitness tracking watch from an alloy which corrodes with sweat? Samsung.

I wonder how many have ended up in the trash for the sake of ordering a replacement back, unclipping the wristband, undoing 4 screws under rubber bungs and swapping it over?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.