• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What ever happened to those palomar mosfets.

I bought one through SK . Palomar Mosfet 450.
I love it and thinking about buying another one. I too would like to know what happened. Maybe SwitchKit can tell us. Even the thread Switchkit posted on here about them on is deleted or missing.

They used to carry them at amateurlinearamplifiers but I no longer see them.

Tell us Switchkit, tell us what happened?

Well , When the Forum changed at the beginning of the year , they left off a lot of old threads and sections. As far as the Mosfet amps go , IM fairly sure there still around , I think it's more so one of those on demand things ? You might ask them over at ALA and see what they say about them ?

i would like to know what fets they are using and how many watts they ar getting with a 29 cobra swing kitted and mosfeted if any one knows.

They use FQP9N15 mosfets 8 of them. I see a little over 300 watts out of mine with Cobra 29, with my Uniden grant I get around 250 watts. These amps are audio monsters and like to swing. They have a wide range like key 40 and swing 250 if you want to do that.
I wish the write Switchkit did on this board hadn't got lost.
Switchkit do you have a copy of the writeup you did?

write ups along with the ability to even get those amps have come and gone it would seem ,for the time being anyway. This kind of surprises me to a degree ? With these power house radios coming out with 8 mosfets being used for power , I would think any good amp man could put these amplifiers out ?

Maybe it's just a cost thing ? I personally wouldn't get it if it were ? Mosfets are majorly cheaper then transistors any day of the week. But yet I doubt you would see much differance in the cost of the amplifer ?

So if these mosfets were to be the power of the future ? (which in some cases they are) I would have thought there would have been amps of this nature all over the place by now ?

So Seedkey ? You have had your amp now getting on 2 years ? it's at least good to know that it has performed for you well.

yup , great amp. I would buy more if I could. My friends as well always ask if i can get them one.
I think there is a real market for these.

Unless Mosfets are different or magic the Audio level should not change. A linear amplifier will improve your output signal by increasing the wattage. Nice loud audio in will mean the same out only at a higher wattage level. I just don't think mosfets in amplifiers caught on yet anyway.

I've kind of heard the same thing about 1446's be the "Loud" transistor. I personally think those 1446's are for real when it comes to the cb radio band ! I think those that know are right. there like 90 watters each on the 11 meter band.

Does a different antenna make you louder then for say another antenna would ? My ear holes would say yes , but it doesn't have to make it right either, same goes for the mosfets and 1446's .

I've heard others on different antenna's . But it has been my ear holes experiance over the years to say this (
weather it is true or false ?) I've always thought that for some reason or another , those cotten pick'in Antron 99s are what I would call "Loud Antenna's" only because I've heard so many people on them where they all sounded loud on them compared to others. Go figure ?

Maybes that's why TVI and bleedover are so common with those ?

I have a few more of the Mosfet 450s as of today. (same as the one you got from me Seedkey) anybody interested , just PM me.

whats the frequency range of those mosfets as far as operation about the same as 2879 2290 3749 1446 ETC AROUND THE 10 11 12 METER BANDS?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.