• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What ever happened to those palomar mosfets.

how about the stp24nf10 it is rated at 100v 85 watts and input cap. 870 pf.
http://www.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/7078.pdf

That looks like a near match, but the gate capacitance is around 800pF.
Could be too much for 27MHz.

The way to find the good parts is to sort by gate charge (Qg).
Its not easy to find parts with low gate charge and high power rating.
Maybe the STP20NF06L comes close.

skipping all the mish-mosh of the last 3 pages of posts....if using AM, we've found that 'X' carrier watts and 'Y' swing watts from transistors BEATS 'X' carrier watts & 'Z' swing watts from the mosfet amps OR radios.
under 'controlled' testing, which honestly was not much more then a 'keydown party', we found that keying 15 watts from an S3 & swinging 40 from a transistor type vs swinging 75 from a mosfet type, the transistor type won hands down. yeah, the mosfet type was considered an 'audio monster' and 'swing machine' by the radio geeks, HOWEVER, we all know that 'swing' on AM stops producing usefullness at some point and this 'taste test' showed that all the impressiveness of peak-reading-wattmeter-movement, violently swinging from 1 side to the other, was USELESS and the more refined transitors won the battle. the same result was found with a ts dx250-NOT EVEN A CLASS 'C' AMP!-vs an 8 (i think) mosfet amp. 40 watts carrier from both, 150 pep from the ts & well over 250 from the mosfet box & again the transistor amp proved 'stronger'. as for audio machine....i didn't really think either radio (or amp-aided radio) was louder then the other, regardless of whether it was using transistors, mosfets or any combination of both.
on SSB.....using 2 stock hr2510's, the dx250 again beat out the 8 mosfet amplifier.
does this mean mosfet amps are worthless? not at all. less generated heat was a plus, cheaper replacement parts, etc...but why does the mosfet version using far cheaper parts cost more then the transistor version?

Palomar 450 HD FET

Hey all I ran across an add on a site called ioffer.com and they had a bunch of different palomar amps.One was a 450 hd fet and 250 hd fet. The guy selling them claimed they would take 100 watts of pep in and do 500 rms out. I was thinking for 250 bucks might be worth trying.I think it had 4 7530 mofsets. 500 out sound a bit high ,but if it did a clean 350 it might be worth it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.