• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What have I done?

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
Good lord what have I done? I am supposed to be taking stuff out of the house not bringing more back in. For the past few years I have been looking for a Heathkit DX-60b transmitter and an HR-10 receiver as parts donors or to simply replace my existing DX-60b/HR-10 combination that I used to use on air on the amateur radio bands when I was feeling a bit nostalgic for the old AM mode of transmission. My old DX-60b transmitter has many mods to make it both actually useful as well as much better sounding than stock. The function switch literally exploded one day when the 600 volts it was switching decided it wanted to go somewhere other than where the switch wanted it too. This resulted in several modifications to the unit to make it actually function again. I always got very good audio reports with it even on a net that included some tough critics left over from the days when broadcasters actually employed techs that knew their shit and took pride in their work. The old HR-10 receiver never really worked. .......it had several undocumented mods done to it including some IF and AF filters which were removed but the receiver just never really worked. I used a Kenwood R-1000 receiver along with the DX-60b transmitter. The pile consists of THREE DX-60b transmitters, one HR-10 receiver which supposedly works fine, THREE HG-10 vfos, an Electrovoice 757 microphone and a few other things thrown in. Might fire them up tomorrow to check them out and then set eyes on the best units and go from there. I'll need to make some changes to the audio section of the transmitter to make it sound as good as my original unit unless I decide to use parts to rebuild it. One job is just as daunting as the other so I guess it depends on which unit looks better. Now I should consider building a smallish amplifier of a few hundred watts to go along with this. Although 12 watts of carrier has gotten me into some pretty far off places on AM a carrier of at least 100 watts would be MUCH better. I got everything in the pictures for $250. I didn't even argue the price considering what I see some of this going for and what they want for shipping. This was local to me. My existing DX-60b, HG-10, and HR-10 are out of frame in a separate cabinet. And to think that people were wondering what I would do to occupy my time once I retire in another 12-17 months. LOL

20231230_153037.jpg

20231230_153021.jpg

20231230_152948.jpg

HR 10 rec. I put one of theses together back in the 1070's.... This Rec. is what got me hooked on World radio listening for DX. Wish I still had it now. I trained the Hr 10 for a busted Yaesu FT 101e got in fixed about 5 years latter....and like a fool sold it in 2015......I'm dumb.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.