• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is backswing?

Boos block?????

Dayum, ..... you 'jacked your own thread!:ROFLMAO:

We Yanks and Brits both speak English but it's funny how much terminology is different and not just slang.

A Boos block is what we call a kitchen cutting board.

Other examples;

What they call a Lorry, we call a Truck (semi, or other large truck).

I still say THEY talk funny and drive on the wrong side of the road, that's why we drive on the right side because we are RIGHT! :D:D:D

I don't think this is the same thing, but what is "backward modulation"? I am talking about the needle on my S Meter move backwards when listening to someone talk, often moving a full S unit or more each time they speak. And yet they come in loud and clear.

Reactions: Limeybastard
I don't think this is the same thing, but what is "backward modulation"? I am talking about the needle on my S Meter move backwards when listening to someone talk, often moving a full S unit or more each time they speak. And yet they come in loud and clear.
As stated by others in this thread, the station on the other end has their deadkey too high.

That could be an issue on their end like too much carrier. I believe some older radios would show backwards swing on the s meter under normal operation. I read something about that on this forum. I want to say it was either a Washington or Madison they were talking about but im not sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: tecnicoloco
If it ain't rhe receiver design, it's a overdriven carrier pinching mudda f*ckka. Lower the carrier and audio.
Maybe switch microphone polarity. Maybe your voice is naturally negitive.

Reactions: 543_Dallas
Whatever the reason, this was not an uncommon occurrence during the CB boom of the 1970s. Some guys were even proud of their backward modulation because it set them apart from the majority and made them quickly recognizable. Others, not so much. I remember one fella driving himself bonkers trying to find the cause.
And I don't recall any of them sounding bad. Rather, they all sounded great.

I have had Cobra 29/25's show "back swing" several reasons why:
*Loose wire/bad solder connection at power or CB-PA switch.
*Weak power supply (Radio wanted more than 2-3 amps, used 5 amp supply to correct)
*Poor tune during TX alignment (realignment fixed the issue)
*Carrier set too high
*Bad capacitors (older radio that didn't run right until a full (electrolytic) re-cap)

I think these have all been covered in the thread, but I wanted to share some of my experiences for anyone who finds the thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robb
Salt water dummy load is OK for low power stuff; but you need accuracy and reliability of a real dummy load when using power.

Look for a used MFJ-250; you can score it for about ~$30-$40.
That will git er done.
Really?? I used to tune my SB200 into 1 for a short period of time... oops.:oops:

Not saying that you cannot make it work. However, a pure resistive load that will maintain that resistance under load is best for making accurate adjustments. A resistor dummy load can/will do that.

Heating the resistor will change its resistance value, the more power that is applied to it will change its value. Using a 100w dummy resistor in a can of mineral oil will keep it consistent; but this will also depend upon how much power is applied. More power means more heat and a larger range of error.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeapFrog
Not saying that you cannot make it work. However, a pure resistive load that will maintain that resistance under load is best for making accurate adjustments. A resistor dummy load can/will do that.

Heating the resistor will change its resistance value, the more power that is applied to it will change its value. Using a 100w dummy resistor in a can of mineral oil will keep it consistent; but this will also depend upon how much power is applied. More power means more heat and a larger range of error.
This method works well, I've even used olive oil and a small paint tin in a pinch.
Just be sure to use non-inductive resistors.

Boos block is American, I'm sure of it. Sometimes I call my truck a car or van, makes people laugh which I'm more than happy to do. Lol

View attachment 21151
Well I'll be! Coming from you I assumed a Boos block would an English term. I've always referred to those as simply cutting boards or butcher blocks not necessarily a brand name used as a generic description.

Kind of like calling all facial tissue Kleenex and all cotton swabs Q-tips, then there's Kotex… :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: LeapFrog
Well I'll be! Coming from you I assumed a Boos block would an English term. I've always referred to those as simply cutting boards or butcher blocks not necessarily a brand name used as a generic description.

Kind of like calling all facial tissue Kleenex and all cotton swabs Q-tips, then there's Kotex… :ROFLMAO:
Or vacuuming is Hoovering.

I didnt know anything about a boos block till a few year's ago. Otherwise its a cutting board or bread board in my opinion.

However, the Hoovering, yes. That's what' I've always called or referred to vacuuming.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.