• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is best way to attach a long wire to an HT?

Need2Know

KK4GMU - Ocala, FL
Jan 26, 2012
Ocala, FL
www.muccings.blogspot.com
I have a Kenwood F6A wide band HT that I would like to hook up to a long wire. The antenna connector on this unit is an SMA female. I also have an SMA to BNC adapter for it for alternate radio-mounted antennas.

What is the best way to securely hook up a long wire to this type of radio (of course used for rx only)?

Yes, I could just stick the wire into the hole and tape it. But I'd like something a bit more refined.

Absolutely correct! But which kind? There are dozens. I have not seen one that provides for a single 18 to 22 gauge wire connection, soldered or otherwise.

By the way, your signature is absolutely and sadly on target.

Use a BNC connector and rig up the wire yourself.

Absolutely correct! But which kind? There are dozens. I have not seen one that provides for a single 18 to 22 gauge wire connection, soldered or otherwise.

By the way, your signature is absolutely and sadly on target.

just connect the center portion of the connector

Be carefull attaching a long wire to that radio or any other handheld radio for that matter. They tend to overload real easy with strong signals and may distort he audio as well as have signals appear on the band that are not really there but are actually on a different band altogether. It is called intermod which is short for intermodulation distortion.

Intermodulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Be carefull attaching a long wire to that radio or any other handheld radio for that matter. They tend to overload real easy with strong signals and may distort he audio as well as have signals appear on the band that are not really there but are actually on a different band altogether. It is called intermod which is short for intermodulation distortion.

All that came about during the LBJ years.

I hope the 20db attenuation on the Kenwood is adequate. From the F6 Manual:

"The attenuator function is useful when exremely strong signals exist nearby your receiving frequency. When these type of signals are present, the receiver gain control may be erroneously controlled and overloaded by the strong signals, rather than by the taget receiving signal. If this happens, the target receiving signal can be mased and buried by the strong signals. In this case, turn the Attneuator (approx. 20dB) function ON. However, as a side effect, the target signal is also attenuated. You may have to adjust the VOL control to increase the audio output level when it is ON."

Attachments

• 1296.jpg
    1296.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 232
Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.