• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is best way to attach a long wire to an HT?

Take your pick. Digikey is a good place.

Thanks for the techy name for that gizmo. I found a place in Washington state called Vetco Electronics to get that gizmo for $6.93, plus a 10 pack of alligator clip leads for $5.99.

Why the alligator clips? Besides needing 2 of them, they have a $9.50 min. order requirement - otherwise there is a $5 processing fee. So I'm telling myself I've got 10 alligator clips for $0.99. I thought this was still a decent buy with $4.95 shipping.

Thanks for all your help in nailing this down.

I'd still like to know what that Balun near the beginning of this thread would do for reception beyond the straight wire connect into the BNC.

Copy and paste from WinRadio about the product. Their product line is SDR receive only radios. It might be OK for QRP operations, but I believe it is designed for their product line.

Often referred to as Long Wire Balun, the WR-LWA-0130 adapter is used to match the impedance of a long wire HF antenna to a 50 ohm input impedance of a receiver. Such impedance matching usually results in a significant signal strength increase (up to 17dB in some cases, and approximately 5dB on average), compared to the long wire antenna connected directly to the antenna input of the receiver. While this is a general-purpose product, it particularly well suited to match the input of WiNRADiO shortwave receivers to the AX-05E long wire antenna.

...snip...

I'd still like to know what that Balun near the beginning of this thread would do for reception beyond the straight wire connect into the BNC.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.