• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is keeping you from going ham?

I get what Peddler is saying - He has better things to do than radio and talking on the CB every once in a while satisfies his radio related needs.

Seems like a perfectly legit reason to not get a ham license to me.

the cost of more equipment is a huge factor for my poor hind parts . but honestly , lazyness is probally the most honest answer in my case . even though i couldnt afford the equipment the meetings are free (i think) and the knowledge gained/shared by others would inspire a lot more questions for me to bug you folks with . lol .

im am a lil concerned by how some of them might feel about a cb'er in their midst . a group of marconi's , bob85's , w5lz's , moleculo's would be really nice to find ! but what if i find a bunch of c w morse's ???? while i fully understand respecting someone for there knowledge , i dont understand/accept talking down to someone and/or belittleing someone because you know more about something than they do . i dont respond well to that and my honesty in a situation like that probally wouldnt be appreciated . but im projecting ..........

ive herd ........ if you dont take a chance , you dont have a chance .
its on my to-do list .

I understand Peddler's reasoning. Ham radio is a Hobby service. I'm eager to learn new things and it just happens that Ham radio open's that area of interest. I can DX around the globe, something to me that seems addictive . I like making those far way contacts and go on the net and look up the call and find out a little bit of the person I talked to. I enjoy the QSL cards. But there are times I enjoy turning on the CB and kicking back and ragchewing with the locals . It's a hobby. Hobbies go in all areas. They're meant to be enjoyable. Some people just don't find the same appeal. I know somethings get missrepresented and that hurts people's view points and initially stops them from going further in radio if they have an interest. I really enjoy riding motorcycle. I have a cruiser. I like the laid back relaxing ride. I abhor crotchrockets .Have no desire to own one but I still like riding motorcycle. I think that's how some people feel about CB and Ham. They still like talking on the radio but just don't have an appeal to go further than what satifies them as far as a hobby. But I have found many times there has been interest in going further toward Ham but hearing the "stories", especially on the internet, tends to keep them away which is sad as I think they would like it.

:DThey know what they want to know about you already. Got a drivers license? Social Security card? Pay property taxes? The amateur license is the least of one's worries if he's paranoid about the gub'ment knowing 'boutcha.:D

CWM

I think the concern here is the same as the gun owners fear. Maybe one day the government will come knocking on your door to take your guns, and/or radio equipment.

I do both, there are days when 11m gets on my nerves big time (see avatar) and I'll hit the ham bands......assholes are on both 11m and the ham bands, we have one asshole ham here locally that sent out an "observer letter" or whatever its called to a friend of mine because he forgot to ID after 10 mins...now thats getting a little to picky.. :mad:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.