• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is the BEST AM-only mobile CB Radio ??

unit_399

EL CAPO
Jun 17, 2008
ALEJANDRIA, COLOMBIA SA
I have some mods that I want to try out on an AM-only cb radio, and I'd like opinions as which one is the best and why. I'm looking to start working on what most of you guys feel is the best.

Some ground rules:

1. Must be a type accepted 40 channel radio. NO EXPORTS.
2. No limited production models. i.e. Stoner, CPI, etal.
3. Must have PLL frequency control - no crystal switching.
4. Not an "impossible to find" model.

When submitting your choice, give the reasons why you like it: Performance, Controls, Quality, Easily modified, etc. Lookin' pretty don't count.
I don't want to say no to tube radios, but most of the mods I'm considering will be tough to implement on a tube set. Hybrids, like the Yellow Robyn, or DAK are OK though.
Anyway ... tell me what you think. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Crawdad

In that category I’m always partial to the many PLL02A AM Cybernet radios. They’re time tested, and easy to modify. The only downside to them is their age. Therefore A re-cap and glue removal is recommended, but expect another long life afterwards. Many ask about wanting lower channels. The O2A is cheap, and highly reliable with a truth table to support whatever frequency you desire.

I think the most popular AM rig is most likely the Cobra 29LTD Classic. They have always been good performers for what they are.

there is no best anything. It's all subjective. Anyway cobra 29, one of the better am talkers. Hard to beat

Uniden 66 68 78 or side mic cobra 25 29, Galaxy 919 929 939

Cobra 29 seems to the choice so far. I like the 29XLR model for its 858 pll chip and built-in speech clipper. Do the newer 29 models (GTL, LTD, Plus) offer more ?? I think the Cobra XLR models were the highest quality Cobra CB series ever made.

Last edited:
Just my opinion and only my opinion, but I'd have to say the Galaxy 919 or 929 spank the heck out of the cobra 29 of the last 20 years. As an AM cb radios, they are great for tx but especially for rx in comparison to the 29. I've owned both and have used both on the highway. More than once have had them running in the same truck so their environment to perform in was the same. Just my opinion from my experience for what it's worth.

Cobra 29 seems to the choice so far. I like the 29XLR model for its 858 pll chip and built-in speech clipper. Do the newer 29 models (GTL, LTD, Plus) offer more ?? I think the Cobra XLR models were the highest quality Cobra CB series ever made.

I have a president honest abe with the 858 pll that i plan to refurb , I wonder how similar It is to the 29xlr and if it has spech clipping?
Back on topic I recommend one of these 399, a very nice uniden made cobra 29 clone.

I have a president honest abe with the 858 pll that i plan to refurb , I wonder how similar It is to the 29xlr and if it has spech clip
The President Honest Abe is almost exactly the same as the cobra 29XLR and does have the speech clipper circuit. Different driver and final though. No big deal because the driver/final in both sets are pretty lame. Honest Abe is in Sams #120. I'll PM you with some upgrades if you'd like.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
The President Honest Abe is almost exactly the same as the cobra 29XLR and does have the speech clipper circuit. Different driver and final though. No big deal because the driver/final in both sets are pretty lame. Honest Abe is in Sams #120. I'll PM you with some upgrades if you'd like.

Send them to me, I have access to hard copies of all the photofacts so the recap job will be easy. Btw if you ever need an 858 pll my local cb guy has a few nos 858 plls in his parts drawers and I drag home every junk 858 radio I see.

There is an AM group in my area and I have cleaned up and aligned a few TRC-452 (858 PLL) radios for some of the users and they are VERY good and basic radios. They are also very inexpensive compared to others. Also, I have not been given one that has been modified. It's been kinda nice.... I have one on the shelf if you are interested..

Uniden PC 76XL. Great controls, hears well and, modulates well also. An all around great 40 channel radio. I have a Philippine made model of it, never peaked and tuned, and it is a nice 40 channel AM only cb radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.